Another Tool Cabinet FINISHED FINAL PICS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ironballs":dd7xdjf0 said:
Long walnut strips Nibbo, long walnut strips..... just pretend you're being hypnotised. Vertical about a quarter of the height of the door, but very thin
Yes I could go for long strips on the doors, but the suggestion of the finger hole thingies were meant for the drawers. :?

I got it up

Yes I got it up, I mean my new tool cabinet :)

It's had two coats of Danish oil I think it may need another two coats the way it's soaking it up.
No brass ware like handles fitted as yet and I've still got the inner doors to do and the seven drawers.

Here's what it looks like from the front.
3243359715_f99f932ca4_o.jpg

3243360191_f33300457a_o.jpg

The view from the side.
3244191376_c626b404f6_o.jpg

3243360613_1eeaa01560_o.jpg

Looks brilliant Nibbo.

Might be a shock in line for anyone coming through the door into the workshop in a hurry if you have the cabinet open! :lol:

Cheers, Ed

EdSutton":1rke8l0l said:
Looks brilliant Nibbo.

Might be a shock in line for anyone coming through the door into the workshop in a hurry if you have the cabinet open! :lol:

Cheers, Ed

Do you think I should nail one of these to the door?

3243486207_17e680c7b1.jpg

:lol:

LN

Completely missed the post of the cabinet mounted, really looks good, I have to say in the photo it looks smaller than it is.

One question on the doors, what is the gap between the doors at the centre of the cabinet, also is there any binding if you just open the one?

Waka":254npv50 said:
LN

Completely missed the post of the cabinet mounted, really looks good, I have to say in the photo it looks smaller than it is.

One question on the doors, what is the gap between the doors at the centre of the cabinet, also is there any binding if you just open the one?

Yes 5ft long with doors closed and a WAKAing :lol: 10ft open tiz sure big enough. :lol:

It's less than 1/8th possibly less than 1/16th, no binding what so ever, I did have reservations about binding but I need not have worried. Having such big doors I did worry about any sag and although there is none I added some little pegs to make sure the doors can't sag, look closely at the tops of the doors in the open pic, I also added the same pegs in the bottom corners on the inside of the doors but these are harder to notice. As I said it was all done to prevent any sag or future sag you know what mdf is like?

I've cut & sized all the drawer sides, I used some beech in the end not ash, I now need to make my mind up whether to dovetail or box joint all the joints in them. What does the forum think? remember they are tiny with no runners or slides, just more like boxes than drawers.

Lord Nibbo":312upjtw said:
Waka":312upjtw said:
All done by hand I assume?

Can't really tell from the pic, what is the side thickness?

Yes :^o well a certain Mr Leigh helped :lol:

12mm is the thickness

You naughty boy.

Must say that Beech has some lovely configuration on it.
Have you decided on the drawer handle yet?

I got a piece of 6mm ply yesterday for the drawer bottoms. Today I cut the bottoms from the ply and glued all the drawers up. This afternoon I gave them all a light sanding and now they are all finished except for another light sanding and have the fronts added.
3260632022_57ce56c3c7_o.jpg

A closer view
3260632538_29f077f782_o.jpg

mailee":eh5il2gl said:
Beautiful your Lordship. I think you should have a go at those doors you know. :)
I just hate repetition mailee, I just know I'd never get past the third or fourth and knowing I need at least ten and then a couple all glass ones I would never get them done befroe losing interest. No I'd rather go to B&Q :lol:

Well I intended to do the fronts on all the drawers today but it f**king freezing down here. I did manage to do the larger drawers though but nearly forgot to take any pics so although they were taken out of sequence on any one actual drawer they do tell a story of "how to do it" or should I say how I did it. :lol:

A bit of scrap packing put in the drawer opening to stop the drawer from going too far in.
3263257500_6e5f293547_o.jpg

Next the drawer pre drilled is fitted in the opening the front has two pieces of double sided tape covering most of the drawer, in this pic the tape has still got the paper covering on for photographic purposes. :)
3263257912_f5b3cef19e_o.jpg

Small shims are placed and the front is firmly pressed to the double sided tape.
3263256716_ce7977d472_o.jpg

The whole drawer is now removed and two screws permanently hold it in place.
3263257100_ea55d16532_o.jpg

All the drawers with the fronts added. Just a few coats of oil needed and some handles.
3263258358_2e711352eb_o.jpg

:D

Thats a great idea of using the DS sticky tape to align the draw fronts. 8)

You do know it's Sunday though and there is football and rugby on..

Latest posts

Back