Another Tool Cabinet FINISHED FINAL PICS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wizer":2a5rzw2v said:
If you can wait a couple of months I'd be happy to turn them for you ;) :D

Very nice offer wizer but I'm on a Mk2 version now, the mk1 had the end grain on what would be the face, I dont want end grain there, so it means I've got to turn it with the faces in the chuck and centre, so it may even end up at Mk3 :)

Mk1 on the right is for a LV BU Smoother. Mk2 on the left is for a LV BU Jack. All the racks will be covered in this felt, it not only protects the blades but I'm sure it helps prevent rusting.
3274512762_e6b1d251ff_o.jpg

Plane racks in position in the cabinet.
3274512178_1d8e755ab8.jpg

Testing to see they fit ok. :)
3274512540_74ba697732_o.jpg

:)

Jolly posh LN I do like the way you're putting in the big planes , what type of felt is it? I think I might follow your example and have a couple of slots each side of the draws on the upper cabinet to hold those big planes, rather than lie them on their sides in the bottom drawers.

So glad you're ahead of me, now I can nick your ideas.

I've been after cork roll, managed to find a place in Croydon that does it, now it will have to wait until I get back from hol's.

Waka":194s3rq0 said:
Jolly posh LN I do like the way you're putting in the big planes , what type of felt is it? I think I might follow your example and have a couple of slots each side of the draws on the upper cabinet to hold those big planes, rather than lie them on their sides in the bottom drawers.

So glad you're ahead of me, now I can nick your ideas.

I've been after cork roll, managed to find a place in Croydon that does it, now it will have to wait until I get back from hol's.

It's haberdashery felt from any good haberdashery shop and you can get it on ebay but may be limited with colours. I just paint on a coat of pva to the wood then apply the felt to that, then let dry before trimming it, the trimming needs some sharp blades though and I've run out of scalpels which are the best to cut it with, I had to use a stanley type knife which ain't the best thing to use.

LN,
That is a neat way of making the plane ramps - I just wonder how likely they are to slide backwards off the shelf supports when you remove a plane? Perhaps you have a screw holding them in place?

waterhead37":37njeu91 said:
LN,
That is a neat way of making the plane ramps - I just wonder how likely they are to slide backwards off the shelf supports when you remove a plane? Perhaps you have a screw holding them in place?

I think a better way is to route half round grooves that will fit over the shelf supports.

Shultzy":102qw3hx said:
waterhead37":102qw3hx said:
LN,

I think a better way is to route half round grooves that will fit over the shelf supports.
At the moment it does seem ok, but I did think about doing that idea but not half round as the pins are flat plastic and about 1/2" wide, so a very shallow trench is all thats needed.

Waka":23dlm1hs said:
Lord Nibbo":23dlm1hs said:
I've started putting the tools in the cabinet......... :lol:

Not without Pic's you haven't :D

Oh yes I have!.... Oh no he didn't!.... Oh yes he did!.............

I'm still waiting for the brass knobs for the drawers so they are a way off being finished but I have got as far as putting all the hand planes in situ and I've got all my Lie Nielsen chisels in. I've still got to make a rack for my Blue Spruce paring chisels and I've got to fit in numerous tools on the back board in the main part of the cabinet.

Most of my saws and all of my hand planes are in situ.
3284029633_52cc3823ba_o.jpg

All my Lie Nielsen chisels are in place in the new rack (Look no slots visible) my Blue Spruce paring chisels will go above the LN's.
3284851558_85f0be5723_o.jpg

A load of tools still to go in back panel and the drawers await the brass knobs.
3284030679_b1d5e5d08a_o.jpg

If the size of the pics bother anyone say so and I'll reduce them. :lol:

Shultzy":omvsa9wg said:
Lovely set of tools LN, my only concern is that when you close the doors, over time, those saws will gradually come off their fixings.

The top edge of the support in the handle ends are hollowed out so they are quite secure and at the blade ends the little round support is slotted so they can't go anywhere.
Now the angled chisel support did take some serious thinking, I didn't want the normal chisel rack slots to show and I wanted them even in height the problem were the bigger chisels having much wider blades than the hole size to take the shank of the chisel. :)

LN

Really like the way you have positioned the tools in the cabinet, I'm curious to know what sort of weight you are putting in the left hand draw?

Waka":lv0ts513 said:
LN

Really like the way you have positioned the tools in the cabinet, I'm curious to know what sort of weight you are putting in the left hand draw?

The smaller drawers were first planned to hold the chisels and things like the spare plane blades, ones ground to steeper angles for difficult wood.

For the larger drawers it was planned to hold my boxes of screws ( can be seen on the bench in the last pic) but that might run into two drawers so I might drop that idea and store them elsewhere and use each drawer to store some of my plough planes and blades although I'm reluctant to take them out of their original boxes :cry:

Escudo":22ibb0jj said:
Lovely cabinet Nibbs, I just hope it doesn't fall of that wall, it must be very heavy.

Well done. Tony

Well it is a bit heavy :) It took two to lift it in place, and it was a struggle.

Well I can't guarantee the actual wall :lol: But the french cleat on the wall has fourteen 3" screws holding it :) the other half of the cleat is of course glued plus about twelve screws screwed in from the back but of course these are only just long enough so they didn't go right through the back panel but for added safety I put another six screws in from inside the cabinet into the cleat. So I really don't think it's going anywhere. ........ unless the wall fails :lol:

Back