Another safari question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
When I went to my iMac this morning I had a number of e-mails, one of which was from a friend of mine, or so I thought. When I opened it there was a page from google and from the gist of it I concluded that my friend was a bit security conscious and wanted to make sure the e-mail was only sent to me so I clicked open and it was a promotion for a new super diet formula. I was not interested so I clicked delete only for another one to come up for the same thing. This went on a number of times and I just could not get rid of it. The only way I could get rid of it was be re-setting safari.

My question is this. Is this advert or scam still lurking in the background on my hard drive and if it is how to I get rid of it. Many thanks in advance.

I am not sure, others will know better but my safari ( mail ) is actually accessing my MSN email account and fetching it into mail. Sometimes I need to access the MSN account direct to get rid of any malware that got past the filters.
Maybe it depends where your email account is based ?

I wouldn't worry. There are some sites that will effectively 'lock' your browser and exhibit exactly the same characteristic that you found. Even some sites that will lock the browser ..Chrome, for instance,....and tell you dire warnings about all your files being encrypted etc. Have to say am a bit surprised that, after all this time, browsers are still susceptible to this sort of activity but just as easily it could be that these sites are able to exploit some feature in the browser that is needed for accessing other normal sites.

As I say...I don't worry. Force Quit is very handy...just remember that if you reload Chrome or safari after a Force Quit..not to reload or restore the pages otherwise you could end up back where you started.

I look at a particular site (it's a job search site) that list search results which you then click on to open is full screen. The fullscreen has 'Back to Search Results' button which doesn't work correctly on any browser I've tried. Instead you have to right click (or 2 finger touch on my Mac pad in my case) and select Open in new window/tab.

On the occasions I forget to open in new window the browser gets stuck in a reload form loop and the only way out is to force quit. I never reset Safari as you loose all your history, bookmarks and so on.... The easy way to force quit is to double tap and hold on second tap on the doc icon for the thing you want to quit and a supplementary menu pops up.

Latest posts

Back