another pointless political rant

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know how this is funded? I find it hard to believe they are taking it out of their cut, if so, why the need to opt in?

I do this for Cancer Research. Several family and friends have died from cancer

Dear Paul Barnard,

This is your quarterly AmazonSmile donation notification. Your chosen charity, Cancer Research UK, recently received a quarterly donation of £93,629.07 from AmazonSmile, thanks to customers shopping at AmazonSmile.

To date, Amazon has donated a total of:
  • £629,037.02 to Cancer Research UK
  • £5,721,914.99 to UK charities

All that you need to do is sign up then access Amazon through their alternative smile launch page.

Do you know how this is funded? I find it hard to believe they are taking it out of their cut, if so, why the need to opt in?

I would assume so that there is some choice in where the donation goes to.

Why doesn't it matter to you?
It maters to me. The money is a charitable donation from Amazon which they write off against tax. So the money is coming from you already. The reality is that the net amount is fractions of a fraction of a percentage of Amazon turnover and is therefor a very cost effective marketting ploy.

That said It costs me nothing directly to shop via the smile link and make myself feel a bit better that my consumerism is having some payback.

Of course it is far better to make a direct contribution but every little helps as the saying goes.

Presumably it's the same money that would be paid to an affiliate if you bought through an affiliate link, it just sort of makes the charity the affiliate.

I would assume so that there is some choice in where the donation goes to.

Yes, you choose which charity you want to support. I was quite surprised that even the small one I wanted to contribute to was found easily.

I couldn't see any reason not to adopt this way of buying through Amazon

sorry but the somewhat cynical me reckons that with donations like that from amazon, a lot of the charities will just end up paying their high up staff more

cant edit the last post for some reason ie Age Uk CEO got £190000 in 2016 and the CEO of cancer reserach got £240000. which considering the PM only gets about £150000 the salaries of the top charity bosses makes my blood boil

cant edit the last post for some reason ie Age Uk CEO got £190000 in 2016 and the CEO of cancer reserach got £240000. which considering the PM only gets about £150000 the salaries of the top charity bosses makes my blood boil
I agree with you, the usual counter-argument is that these charities are multi-million pound businesses and to attract the type of people with experience of running a business of that size they have to pay the market salary.

Last edited:

I agree.

I personally don't give to charity as a point of principle, not just for the reason above though.

sorry but the somewhat cynical me reckons that with donations like that from amazon, a lot of the charities will just end up paying their high up staff more

Not sure if you can check as easily there, but tax filings help us find out here what percentage of donated money goes to actual program costs vs. advertising and administrative.

Two like-named charities may both have a 90% and 10% figure in their filings, with one using 10% for actual programs and 90% eaten up by everything else, and the other the converse.

I also avoid aggregators of charity dollars here. They generally have administrative fees of 10-15%, but they are the loudest and most obnoxious about telling businesses that they'll be lined out if they don't join their cause. For obvious reason - they have no real purpose other than to be a conduit, so their setup requires a bribe - a decades long tradition of virtue signaling.

They probably have a charity target and contract requirements of a certain amount based on tax incentives, etc. I'd imagine it becomes part of their marketing program (that they do actually give up some of their revenue, but they get favorable tax treatment for it and would've been required to do it, anyway, as part of terms or agreements).

If they got stupid about it, they would be sued by shareholders in the US (it has to be in the interest of the business when you're operating on other peoples' money).

This is your quarterly AmazonSmile donation notification. Your chosen charity, The British Red Cross Society, recently received a quarterly donation of £13,421.88 from AmazonSmile, thanks to customers shopping at smile.amazon.co.uk or with AmazonSmile turned ON in the app.

To date, Amazon has donated a total of:
  • £93,813.02 to The British Red Cross Society
  • £5,721,914.99 to UK charities

thats mine

They sound like huge donations, but they are not in the scheme of things. This is a marketing exercise by Amazon - do not be duped. If companies like Amazon paid their fair share of UK tax then perhaps there would be more money in the kitty to tackle issues that charities currently have to pick up the slack on. Amazon are not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. Their number crunchers have measured the impact upon sales of 'care washing' strategies such as this. If you absolutely have to buy from Amazon, then yes, why not sign up? But if you have the option of buying from a company that hands over their fair share to the revenue in the UK, then please do this instead.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back