another of Jacob's rants.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm putting in a planning application for a shed in my front garden. One of the commonest reasons for rejection in the first instance is apparently the mis labelling of boundaries etc. They insist upon the boundary of the property being marked in blue and the outline of the shed, extension etc. being marked in red. Many people will copy their map from Land Registry maps, where the property boundary is marked in red. Not a lot of joined up thinking, there.:rolleyes:

I was told it's to stop confusion, anyone who sees a map with a boundary not in red knows it isn't an official map.

Yes we had that nonsense a couple of years ago. i just printed the LR doc in black and white and went over it in felt tip.

Mmmm..... so why doesn't the council ask for the boundary in red and the subject of the application marked in blue (or green, or ...) :LOL:

LR uses different colours on their maps for different things but property boundaries are always red. If someone saw the map with the red boundary they might assume it was an official map from a deed. LR get very funny about these kinds of things as there is an awful lot of attempted property fraud.
I agree it still adds complication but it makes sense why they do this. No perfect solution to this kind of thing.

Yeah, saw the title and thought, best of luck there.
Good few years ago local council sent plans back, obviously drawn wrong - who would have the kitchen at the front and sitting room at the back.

our planning was once refused because there were no tree's printed on the plan.....!!!!!!!!!!
another time I wanted to add an extension to our end of terrace.....
they said cant be done....but I explained that on the next 2 rows it had already been done....
Gave up in the end and moved to a bigger place.....different council.....
went to buy a burnt out house with a conected barn only small just 1 bedroom....only the chimney was left standing and 1 wall upto window hight.....
asked if I bought it could I make the barn part of the house....
NO, it's a listed building.....??????
as far as I know it's condition is even worse now....
They are all morons....

There are buildings around here that have been slowly falling down for decades because they are listed, and no one wants them. One burned down probably the best part of 20 years ago (maybe more) and the site is derelict. No one will develop it as the building was listed and therefore the facade must be rebuilt to look as it did - which was that of a domestic house right in the centre of town.

Last edited:
Anything in front of a property can be a nightmare, we are restricted to 200mm raised beds if we put them in the front garden.
I'll get mine without any problem - they've just allowed an extension off the front two doors away. They approved this because there was a precedent, one of my neighbours on the other side. What they didn't take into account was that that bungalow was built behind the line of the others and that front extension only brought into line with its neighbours. Durrrrr .... (I'll play the disabled card anyway, if necessary :) , not that I like doing it.)

Many years ago a friend applied for PP for a large shed, in his walled and not overlooked back garden. In a conservation area. Refused. Reapplied for a "free standing hobby and storage area", same drawings and in every respect apart from name, a shed. Approved. Excellent.

I suppose these days he could have applied for a very very big bin store with spare space for other things. As long as its not called a shed.

I'm putting in a planning application for a shed in my front garden. One of the commonest reasons for rejection in the first instance is apparently the mis labelling of boundaries etc. They insist upon the boundary of the property being marked in blue and the outline of the shed, extension etc. being marked in red. Many people will copy their map from Land Registry maps, where the property boundary is marked in red. Not a lot of joined up thinking, there.:rolleyes:

https://www.streetwise.net/PlanningMaps.aspx
this website allows you to draw on boundaries, house, extension etc.

also you can add text.

I have downloaded them in the past as a word document so I can add address details etc too.

Just checked with an LR lawyer, they don't care about boundary colours, whatever I was told was hogwash, you can send in plans to them in any colours, markings etc that you like, as long as there are notes/key to explain they are happy.

Long story short, councils are prats :ROFLMAO:

On Cornwall Council's own site it says a common cause of rejection is the boundaries not being marked to their satisfaction and believe it or not without an arrow showing north. Why this should affect anything, who knows?

On Cornwall Council's own site it says a common cause of rejection is the boundaries not being marked to their satisfaction and believe it or not without an arrow showing north. Why this should affect anything, who knows?

My source used some language to describe council planning departments that if I repeated would get me banned (again).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back