another one !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remulo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, another box had been recovered after a few laps to the lab for my mistake, advice and criticism, thanks

P1110220.JPG

P1110221.JPG

P1110222.JPG

Attachments

• P1110220.JPG
    P1110220.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 947
  • P1110221.JPG
    P1110221.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 947
  • P1110222.JPG
    P1110222.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 947
Looks pretty good to me. Main critique would be in the choice of woods, if you are using two different woods use two that really contrast and have the darker one on top. Also if you can have the curve of the lid following the curve of the bowl more. I know picky picky LOL.

pete

take notes for the next, the cover is not in line is the result of turning without a project, I usually go on instinct, these are the results. :oops:
thanks for the comments and advice :)

If you turn the base first, then turn the underside of the lid to fit and put the base back on the lathe using it as a jam chuck for the top which you can hold in place with the tail. You can then follow the curve in whatever way you wish and add the finial after.

Pete

Bodrighy":1xkuo5yl said:
If you turn the base first, then turn the underside of the lid to fit and put the base back on the lathe using it as a jam chuck for the top which you can hold in place with the tail. You can then follow the curve in whatever way you wish and add the finial after.

Pete

good point! but I started with the idea of ​​making the cover flush with the edge .... I changed my mind on the run ...thanks pete!
thanks steven!

great shape , and love the detail at the top of the finial. but also not sure of the different woods.
Keep them coming :) (it was your little espresso cup that inspired the August item in this years comp )

thanks nev, what an honor to have you as the inspiration for the contest.
in April there will be 'the first contest of Italian artistic turning right here in a nearby town, I'll see' to participate .... (info on legnofilia forum).

My Thoughts are same as woody nothing wrong With The Turning finish the Top Inspires Me most
Regards
Bill

thanks for the comments, strange thing that no one on the forums Italians to 'bother the combination of wood, matters of taste .... :lol:

great work.
i don't see a problem with the choice of wood/contrast.

What are the woods anyway ? would have had a wild guess sycamore and yew ?

I quite like the shapes.

On another point, I think it's quite brave to cut the base cross-grain, as you have done, as it's quite likely to move.

This will be ok if the lid is a slack fit or the base is very close to the moisture content it will have when displayed but it might also crack from the pith to the rim if you're really unlucky - I hope it doesn't.

HTH
Jon

It has grown on me after looking at it a few times I have changed my mind and I love it my wife thinks it is beautiful so thank you for sharing and challenging my taste

thanks for the comments. the woods are yew and maple.
is dangerous for the integrity 'of the box to put on' the piece so 'but I wanted to try. :roll:
thanks woody, even your wife :)

Latest posts

Back