Another how much would you charge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sawdust

I do quite a lot of fitted bedroom furniture - normally in chipboard/vinyl wrapped MDF.

Anyway, going off what I charge for the above, and bearing in mind yours is solid timber/veneered MDF, i'd say between £4&5k.

Not including the speakers, of course..... v fond of transmission line speakers.

Cheers

Karl

I'll go for 4.5k Sawdust when I think what our solid oak kitchen cost. You'll get a coconut if you tell us how much you would charge or what it cost you - all in. :D

Mark

I'm with Mark, around £4.5K, more if there's anything clever going on inside the wardrobes. Mind you I'm notorious for underpricing jobs, so it's probably more realistic to add at least 10% for "unforseens"

Seriously, I reckon you tradesmen ought to use an agent.
Think how much footballers get paid, and entertainers. Agents or I suppose they call themselves architects in the building trade could be a source of getting the highest rate available.

I've just set up on my own so this is interesting.

I would quote;

Wardrobes - £3500
Bed - £1000
Dressing Table & stool - £500
Bedsides 2 at £350 - £700

Total £5700

If they offered me five grand cash I'd probably take it.

About three weeks work? Maybe four?

For the Wardrobes, Bed, Dressing Table & stool and Bedsides 2 all made together and the wardrobes scribed in, I'd charge around £6-7.

If each were sold at different times, it'd come to a grand more at least

On the other side of it.... I'd love to know what it cost you. Not hours, I know that's worth money. But out of interest what the materials cost you in total.

Can't imagine you'd get much change, if any, from a grand just for the wardrobes, based on what it cost me recently to do a set almost the same in plain (painted) MDF. I'd be interested to see a breakdown of expenses too, as long as that's not considered too nosey.

WiZeR":2fyj7vzt said:
On the other side of it.... I'd love to know what it cost you. Not hours, I know that's worth money. But out of interest what the materials cost you in total.

Someone else asked the same thing on the original thread but I'm not sure how to link to an individual post so I'll just paste it in here:

"I haven't done all that detailed a breakdown of the price but from memory I spent about £250 on the solid ash, about £350 on veneered MDF, probably about &100 on hinges and handles and maybe £50 on varnish. So all in, something like £750 on materials and that's for everything including the spare bits for a pair of speakers and a great big subwoofer. "

Thinking back I did have to order a couple of extra sheets of MDF and the handles and hinges were more expensive so I think my original reply was a bit light - maybe nearer £950 would be more accurate.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Sawdust. So taking the average price quoted at around 5k, subtracting 1k for materials and an estimate of about 5weeks work that works out 800 a week profit?

I guess then you have to subtract tooling costs, rates, the dreaded tax, etc

Still, not bad I guess?

WiZeR":1pwg72om said:
Thanks Sawdust. So taking the average price quoted at around 5k, subtracting 1k for materials and an estimate of about 5weeks work that works out 800 a week profit?

I guess then you have to subtract tooling costs, rates, the dreaded tax, etc

Still, not bad I guess?

It all depends on how high your overheads are.

I share a workshop with another cabinetmaker, which means my my total costs only come to around £150 per week. This includes rent, rates, insurance, electricity, heating, water rates, telephone, vehicle costs, etc, etc.

A bigger, newer, nicer workshop and a smart van on your own might cost £750 per week.

My sums for the above job would be;

Sell at £5700

Material cost £1000

Overhead cost 4 weeks £600

Profit £4100

I think that if you are doing this professionally you should aim at earning £1000 per week. You'll probably never do it, but it is what you should be aiming at. Remember that during holidays, illness etc you are earning nothing but the overheads carry on.

If the overheads are higher then your prices need to be higher as well. I prefer to keep them right down.

Dan,
There are probably 57 varieties of costs associated with the work that you don't have there and will have to pay out of your "profit". I think you should try to categorise them in more detail. For example, there will be transport costs that could add up to a tidy penny given fuel prices and possibly long distances you might need to travel; investment in new or replacement tools; hardware costs that are associated with Blum type stuff can also add up quickly etc.

waterhead37":1sk7rrdl said:
Dan,
There are probably 57 varieties of costs associated with the work that you don't have there and will have to pay out of your "profit". I think you should try to categorise them in more detail. For example, there will be transport costs that could add up to a tidy penny given fuel prices and possibly long distances you might need to travel; investment in new or replacement tools; hardware costs that are associated with Blum type stuff can also add up quickly etc.

You're right of course, Chris.

I have got countless spreadsheets of business plans and projected P&L accounts detailing every overhead cost it is conceivable I might encounter. For the sake of a quick post on this thread however, I included them under 'etc, etc'!

Hardware such as Blum hinges and runners would be included in material costs.

my simple guesstimate

wardrobe only

would have been £1000 on materials

and 3 weeks work

5 days on detailed design collecting and orgainisng material deliveries
5 days in the workshp
5 days on site (2 install, 1/2 for the bits and pieces, 2 and 1/2 for finishing/varnishing)

ive not done furniture before so cant comment on the bed, bed cabinets etc

dirtydeeds":iu109r61 said:
my simple guesstimate

wardrobe only

would have been £1000 on materials

and 3 weeks work

5 days on detailed design collecting and orgainisng material deliveries
5 days in the workshp
5 days on site (2 install, 1/2 for the bits and pieces, 2 and 1/2 for finishing/varnishing)

ive not done furniture before so cant comment on the bed, bed cabinets etc

Wardrobe;

6 sheets 19mm ash veneered MDF @ £23.00
6 sheets 6mm ash veneered MDF @ £21.00
6 8'x6" 1" ash @ £10.00 per plank (approx)

Hinges, fittings etc say £50.00
Lacquer - £25.00

Total cost of materials £399.00

Detailed design - 2 hours
Ordering delivery of MDF - 48 seconds (ish)
Selecting ash at timber yard - 2 hours including travelling
Ordering hardware - 5 minutes

5 days in workshop inluding all finishing
2 days fitting

this is begining to sound a bit like hanging doors

one guy is outragoeosuly expensive the other is rediculously cheap

looks like im the outragoeusly expensive one this time :roll:

Back