Another dust extractor question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martlewis

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm putting my order in at the weekend hopefully for my SIP 10" TS.

So far my Henry hoover has worked wonders in my shop but he's getting a bit old and tired, he even mentioned retirement the other day (the glue fumes must be going to my head lol).

Anyway, what do people think of the upright 1HP extractors on ebay, the ones with 2 ags, one above the other and 100mm hose?

It will be run around my shop using 100mm ducting and blast gates to 4 points.

I have a SIP and find it fine but house it outside the w/s to avoid any fine dust and be able to have full vac. copes with p/t ok.

OLD":36bsvv01 said:
I have a SIP and find it fine but house it outside the w/s to avoid any fine dust and be able to have full vac. copes with p/t ok.

p/t???

I am going to build a lean-to outside my workshop with a 100mm hole for the hose to pass through into the shop and a persped "window" so I can see when it is full without having to keep going outside.

How big is this thing going to be? I can get the lean-to built in time for delivery of my extractor if you can tell me the floor area it reauires and the height.

Cheers mate

Martin

Plainer/ thicknesser.produces lots of stuff
850mm x 400mm x 1600mm height
The no volt release stop/start will have to be relocated into the workshop or bypassed.

OLD":3pfui47t said:
The no volt release stop/start will have to be relocated into the workshop or bypassed.

The plan is to have the no volt switch in the workshop mounted on the wall,the shop is small enough that I'll ne able to reach it from most machines without walking to far :)

Just needs a little mod to the wiring of the switch, which obviously should only be done by a qualified electrician :whistle:

I got a 2hp unit from axminster and it seems very good.
I mounted the motor inside the workshop and just put the bag unit outside.
This way the electrics are all inside and handy and the nasty dust is outside.
I would definatly go for a 2hp unit if I was you as you need to suck as much air as you can to try and catch the fine dust.
It is working well with my sip 10" saw.

Mike

martlewis":3hoy0ioi said:
I am going to build a lean-to outside my workshop with a 100mm hole for the hose to pass through into the shop and a persped "window" so I can see when it is full without having to keep going outside.
Martin

How about incorporating a shaving trap bin between the equipment and your extractor, then the extractor will only fill with fine dust, needing little attention other than to shake the filter to unclog for several weeks.

CHJ":1k4f66h8 said:
How about incorporating a shaving trap bin between the equipment and your extractor, then the extractor will only fill with fine dust, needing little attention other than to shake the filter to unclog for several weeks.

Now I'm interested :D

How would I go about making this?

The order has been placed for the dust extractor, promised delivery by the end of the week :)

Here are some dust bucket examples - they work better with 2HP or above motors
DB1Construct.JPG

DB2Construct.JPG

Barry

Mine is even simpler and works fine with an Axminster ADE1200. (1hp)

It can be seen sitting under the end of the bench in the first two pictures in In This Thread
It is just a box, flat lid fitted with foam seal and a 100mm hole each end for ducts to fit in. These ducts have wooden taper cones fitted and just wedge in, makes for easy disconnect when enptying bin.

The taller the box the better to allow more separation from the outlet but I compromise because this fits under the bench.
Because my extractor sits outside I changed the fine filter bag for a coarser one which increased the airflow considerably. It will happily take a pencil and stow it in the box. I intend to change the plastic waste bag for a material one as soon as I get some suitable cloth to machine up, to further improve the suction.

CHJ":3mocp25v said:
Mine is even simpler and works fine with an Axminster ADE1200. (1hp).
1 HP works fine with chips but I would not expect to get the flow rate for fine MDF dust with the dust bucket added. I did loads of tests over a year ago starting with 1HP going to 3HP motor. With the smaller motors its better not to have the dust bucket with fine dust but great with chips.
Barry

I don't think I will end up with a bucket but it's still an option. I assume I will need to vent the lean-to that will house my extractor? Would this vent outside or back inside? Don't want to lose all the heat out of my shop.

Access will be pretty easy for bag changing, I plan on having a door inside the shop to access it rather than outside. One less entry point for those burglars.

Barry Burgess":x1bvy0ks said:
CHJ":x1bvy0ks said:
Mine is even simpler and works fine with an Axminster ADE1200. (1hp).
1 HP works fine with chips but I would not expect to get the flow rate for fine MDF dust with the dust bucket added. I did loads of tests over a year ago starting with 1HP going to 3HP motor. With the smaller motors its better not to have the dust bucket with fine dust but great with chips.
Barry

Barry it depends on the application and proximity of the collection point. Any sanding I do on the lathe can be seen to be disappearing in a constant stream down the tube, the only time I get dispersion is if I use a power drill for power sanding in the bottom of a bowl and the cooling airflow deflects it away from the cowl.
I do have an adjacent 9" ventaxia though which clears the shop air fairly rapidly if this happens.

martlewis":1vw6eqql said:
I don't think I will end up with a bucket but it's still an option. I assume I will need to vent the lean-to that will house my extractor? Would this vent outside or back inside? Don't want to lose all the heat out of my shop.
Depends on how fine your filter is, you don't want to pump harmful dust back in the shop.

martlewis":1vw6eqql said:
Access will be pretty easy for bag changing, I plan on having a door inside the shop to access it rather than outside. One less entry point for those burglars.

Bag changing on these things is not easy, you need plenty of room for access, I wheel mine out of it's shed to change the bag, you will find you need 3 pairs of hands to do it the first few times you try.

Barry Burgess":pjhiwzx4 said:
Chas I junked all my dust buckets when I built my cyclone as they are not now needed.
Barry

Yes but your cyclone setup would fill my shop and have nothing to do as there would not be any room left for my lathes. :lol:

Where does everyone buy their ducting and what do you use? Have seen aluminium spiral ducting but I was also thinking pvc? Any suggestions?

is it any different to the extractor hose used in kitchens, cos i come across that on site often.

tiler99":348pnas3 said:
is it any different to the extractor hose used in kitchens, cos i come across that on site often.
Yes the air is sucked through in the extractor and would flatten the kitchen pipe where it is blow through.
Barry

Back