Another dust extraction question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnycc

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'd super appreciate some help.
I'm currently rocking a nilfisk attix vac for dust extraction on my power tools. It works pretty well. I'm thinking of investing in a table saw - something like the Axminster craft, and am aware the nilfisk is probably not the best tool for the job for stationary machinery.
This is a hobby for me and the saw is already a stretch. So buying it and an expensive LPHV setup isn't an option.
So here are my questions
1) How bad will my nilfisk be with the table saw - and given I'm not doing this every day, should I be super worried about dust?
2) Are there any cheap ways of setting up extraction that would do a good job?
3) Would adding a cyclone or similar help, and if so any advice on what to go for.

I know there are a few threads on this, but I'd appreciate any time spent replying!

J

I use a Nilfisk for many tools but not the table saw, for that I have a SIP 50 litre extractor. That does struggle with the P/T though.

Avoid MDF and life becomes a lot more pleasant, MDF is the most filthy obnoxious dust creating material you can wish to cut, I think it was created to help support the dust extraction industry.

Thanks a lot Roy - and clogs. and Lol at your MDF comment. I tend not to use it wherever possible. Mainly ply and solid wood. The table saw I'm looking at claims to need 1000 CUBIC Litres per hour air flow, and the SIP 50 seems to do around 150. Do u think that's going to be worth the upgrade from the nilfisk which I think has a similar airflow.
thanks again

here u go Jonnycc
take a look at this....all these items are cheap and can be scrounged of building sites the plumbing fittings from the likes of B+Q....
u dont need acrylic for the top but looks nice....easy to scale up.....and u dont need all his kit to make it......

or u can buy a ready made from Amazon....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=cyclon...,163&ref=nb_sb_ss_pltr-ranker-acceptance_1_17
with a cyclone, a smaller vac will do ok coz the sawdust will end up in the tub not the vac.....
plus there's a few on youtube where they have been mounted on top of the vac, making a compat wheeled unit....
hope this gives u some idea....let us know howu geton...

For table saws and planers an extractor with at least 100mm hose. 120mm even better.
Anything less won't catch the finer dust.
There's really no other solution but to get something that can move a lot of air.
An American fellow has a very detailed web site about this subject, but I forgot his name.
HTH

For table saws and planers an extractor with at least 100mm hose. 120mm even better.
There's really no other solution but to get something that can move a lot of air.
An American fellow has a very detailed web site about this subject, but I forgot his name.
HTH
Okay so it looks like the Charnwood unit kindly suggested by spectric would tick all the boxes in terms of flow rate and diameter of hose for not a huge amount of cash? Would you guys recommend adding a cyclone to that too?
thanks again

HTH
Bill Pentz. It is more than most people want to take in though.

Pete

Take a look at the CamVac range from record power.
I picked up a yorkleen wv150 for £50 on marketplace, works well on my scheppach 10" jobsite table saw for dust extraction.
Being 110mm version does well on planer, but fills rapidly.

I would get the type of extractor that @Spectric or @Sachakins mentions above and use it on the bottom of the saw then you could always use the Nilfisk you already have on the crown guard, that is similar to the set up I have and it works really well for me.

saw extractor.jpg

A cyclone is not the answer, its only purpose is to reduce the amount of dust that goes through your vacuum's filter, what it does do is reduce the amount of suction you get at the work piece.

On a table saw you can get more efficient extraction by making a close fitting blade insert and taping up the other openings, Doug71's suggestion above is a decent result, but still no substitute for a LPHV extractor.

Hooked on wood did a nice YouTube video recently on his solution based on CanVac which is worth a watch. I use two CamVacs now for my bigger machines.

You need a proper chip and dust extractor wrth a cartridge top. They are only a little bit more expensive than a Nilfisk and do a way better job.

A cyclone is not the answer, its only purpose is to reduce the amount of dust that goes through your vacuum's filter, what it does do is reduce the amount of suction you get at the work piece.

On a table saw you can get more efficient extraction by making a close fitting blade insert and taping up the other openings, Doug71's suggestion above is a decent result, but still no substitute for a LPHV extractor.
How come.

It's a sealed unit so thier won't be a loss of suction? Just the particles are filtered out.

As I understand it a LPHV extractor needs airflow to work so taping up the openings and a close fitting insert might choke it? I always think the same of the 50mm pipes which Tee off the 100mm pipes and connect to the crown guard, not enough airflow for a LPHV extractor which is why I went with the shop vac on my crown guard.

Originally I was going to have a LPHV extractor to the bottom of my saw but the Record extractor came up locally, I bought it without really having a use for it but realised it would tuck away nicely under the saw and it has stayed there ever since.

In my experience it does the opposite, concentrates the air flow to where you want it around the blade and takes the dust and debris to the extractor, there is a high speed film on here somewhere that demonstrates it, also shows the dust thrown forward by the blade, so the extract needs to be at the front of the crown guard not the rear as most are set up.

This was my solution:

Crown guard.jpg

Back