Another Dremel gone!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonluv

Established Member
Reaction score
5th Dremel in 6 years what a waste of time
Can anyone help please------ use the Dremel with the Workstation for drilling 1mm holes for internal scroll saw cutting .
Can anyone suggest either a Rotary Drill that fits the Workstation or a Pillar drill that will hold a 1mm drill bit. Or even a drilling machine which will fit into a Drill Press

I have some 3d plaques to cut for local Biker group to cut asap and would not like to upset them

So fed up with Dremel will not buy another

Thanks
John

Another vote for Proxxon, very well built at reasonable prices.

As Nick mentioned if you already have a decent Pillar drill a Pin Chuck would be one way to go, although my Pillar drill has jaws that will take 1mm I still use this for even finer drills.
DSCN4885.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4885.JPG
    DSCN4885.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,316
Cut drive shaft from Dremel and screwed Dremel chuck on ---- works with cheap Drill Press , but will purchase a proper Pillar Drill with changeable chucks .

Many thanks to All
John

I have one of these dremels, probably not used as much as your's
Can I ask what exactly fails on the dremel's?
are they battery or mains powered?
Is it the motor burning out? Regards Rodders

Hi Rodders,

All of them have just "died" no burnouts or any sign of problem I do or did use them daily but never again
John

jonluv":3pkcn0st said:
All of them have just "died" no burnouts or any sign of problem I do or did use them daily but never again

If you used 5 Dremels daily over the course of 6 years, that's still over a year per Dremel. Have you checked the brushes? If you use them for any significant period of time per day, that's quite plausibly enough use to just wear the carbon brushes that contact the spinning commutator in the motor down to nothing. If that's what it is, then a Proxxon will probably have the same problem - as well built as they may be, I'd be surprised if Proxxon saw fit to use an induction motor in a rotary tool! It may last longer if Proxxon put longer brushes in their tools, but for high-use brushed electrical motors, the brushes are really a consumable item. (Apparently Proxxon tout "a special motor with no changing of brushes necessary", so maybe they do!)

If that's all it is, then you can probably get spare brushes much more cheaply than a replacement rotary tool, and in a lot of tools it's a fairly simple process to replace them.

EDIT: In fact, here's a video from Dremel, recommending checking the brushes every 40 hours... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIXrMnQGXE4

In all cases brushes fine---- re archemedes drill I have to drill 100 percent vertical to create 3d lettering

John

Before I bought my Dremel, I did a bit of research, and the first reason for the dremel's failure was apparently because the operators hand obscured the cooling fan's functioning.
The other main reason for failure was using at an unneccessesary high speed and for too long to keep cool.
And the thing that fascinated me most was the use of a piece of tubing for a driveshaft, apparently.
So if you have no drive you may need a piece of tube!
Regards Rodders

Back