Angle grinder blade????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I like the bits if me to remained joined onto me, so no, I won't be pressing the buy button!

I know a man who knows a man who put a saw blade on a stihl saw to tackle a small tree on a building job. It didn't take him long to find out it wasn't a good idea.
Can't see the angle grinder version being any better.

I always thought that angle grinders were faster than 9000 rpm? Either way I'm rather fond of my extremities and would like to keep them. So I'm out!!

I purchased a similar one a few years ago, I used it for around 3 seconds before the grinder was ripped from my hands luckily I was not injured.
Off came the blade I put it in a vice bent it in half and skipped it.

That's cool, need to have a go with that.
Any regulars on tips from a shipwright will have seen the old boy using a saw blade on a grinder in one of his videos, not saying it's right but not beyond the wit of man.

Well............. hummmmm.......... suppose it's not THAT much worse than the Arbortech carving blade. But that scares the sh... you-know-what out of me on the odd occasions I've used it and it's only 4" diameter!

No skills":z7fcqzxm said:
That's cool, need to have a go with that.
Any regulars on tips from a shipwright will have seen the old boy using a saw blade on a grinder in one of his videos, not saying it's right but not beyond the wit of man.

Yeah I have seen that Terrifying but it works for him. Not for me though lol.

Have a look at the close-up. Who brazed the teeth on it, Stevie Wonder?

If I wanted to open myself up like a pyjama case, I'd rather get a vicious kickback from my big Stihl whilst falling-over drunk.

I just translated the Polish text on that blade, it says ''please remove loose clothing and brain before use''.

I'll be honest I'd thought about buying one of these to carve thick timbers, but I'm guessing a cheap chainsaw would be safer.

No No no no.
It will kick back at you and you will die.
There was a story about this on the bbc some time ago, he fixed one of these type blades to an angle grinder it kicked back got him in the neck and he bled out.
You can get tools with duel opposite rotating blades which will stop kick back.

phil.p":3sumsyal said:
duel opposite rotating blades ... sounds fascinating. :D

Yeah, it'd be just like putting your face in a hand-held version of this. :-D

article-2295511-18C3C5B6000005DC-128_468x286.jpg

Why maim yourself in half-measures when you can double up on the mayhem?

graduate_owner":3gvt79gt said:
I bought an arbortech blade a few years ago. Haven't tried using it yet - still plucking up courage.

K
I think you'll find the arbortech is a completely different tool designed for a completely different operation. I haven't used one but have stood next to someone who was and they had very good control.

The blade linked to is frankly scary and designed to help darwin candidates on their way!

graduate_owner":1he7vdlt said:
I bought an arbortech blade a few years ago. Haven't tried using it yet - still plucking up courage.

K

For their design purpose, removing a lot of wood from irregular shapes in minimum time, they are actually pretty good. Like every power tool, you need to keep your wits about you, concentrate hard on what you are doing and wear protective clothing. Imagine it's just the tip of a chainsaw blade, that you are a lot closer to the business end than you are even with a small chainsaw, then treat it accordingly. And always make sure you cut so that if anything goes wrong, the tool will be pulled away from you.
But still quite scary.

i used to use those tct blades all the time in a jamb saw. much safer because you have a reference surface so less chance of the blade getting nipped... these can be used in an angle grinder if you know what you are doing, but not for cutting (severing material) never plunge the blade only use it to score the surface, its only really use for carving

plunge the blade into the material and then twist or lean your arms, its gonna kick like a mule!

i picked up one of the below chansaw blades in poland, never seen them in the uk,, again same principle dont plunge it, all spinning blade tools have the capacity for kickback of the machine or material,

its important to understand the cause of it so you can avoid it happening,

Attachments

• chainsaw-wheel.jpg
    chainsaw-wheel.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 23
Back