An old friend revisited

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Now I've got the hang of this piccy posting lark, there'll be no stopping me!

I got a call from an old customer the other day wanting me to call round to price up some office furniture. While there, I was reaquainted with the very first piece of furniture that anyone ever commissioned me to make. Needless to say, the clients didn't know this at the time! :lol:

It is a glazed display unit in solid oak (European I think) which had to fit in a cellar room. The bottom shelf holds a canteen of cutlery and slides out on runners. The base and crown were removable to fit down the narrow stairs - we made it with about a millimetre to spare!

I was delighted to find it in good nick and in use after all those years. Not so sure about the cans of paint though!

Img_0424.jpg

Very nice Brad.

A question. That is one piece of glass in each of the doors? I would have imagined that it would have been too heavy for the door frames to support. Is it toughened glass? I only ask as I'm thinking about a similar project.

Cheers, Ted

lucky9cat":jso56sla said:
Very nice Brad.

A question. That is one piece of glass in each of the doors? I would have imagined that it would have been too heavy for the door frames to support. Is it toughened glass? I only ask as I'm thinking about a similar project.

Cheers, Ted

Hi Ted,

Yes, each door has one piece of 6.4mm laminated glass in it. I seem to remember that in this case I finished the door componants and then assembled them around the glass in the same way as you would make a panelled door. Laminated glass works great for this as it is exactly the same thickness as the groove in standard Trend profile scribe cutters. Just make sure you don't get any finish where your glue is going to be.

No problem with the weight so long as you glue them up well.

Cheers
Brad

Back