American Tablesaw Technique!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAC1

Journeyman
Reaction score
Has anyone seen page 35 of the latest edition of FWW N0 210. It is incredible that Taunton have printed it. It is not as if it was necessary to use the table saw I could have achieved his aim in less time then it takes to cut this on the TS with a tennon saw

tempmg.jpg

To be fair he almost a whole inch between his fingers and the top of the blade ;)!!

Cheers

Gidon

gidon":h14a83uz said:
To be fair he almost a whole inch between his fingers and the top of the blade ;)!!

and he has the riving knife fitted...all looks fine to me :roll:

Ed

So we have a riving knife, safe working distance between fingers and blade and a push stick in the other hand.... what could possibly go wrong...

00020080.gif

Richard

Overnight I realised I might be missing something. The TS could have SawStop fitted in which case whats the problem!!!

Perhaps..... I have seen the youtube video of it stopping when the blade encounters an errant sausage, however it would take a braver man than I to place my own fingers in the hands of an electronic/mechanical braking system......

Adam

Perhaps you've seen it already but there is a video out there of the inventor carefully putting his finger into the spinning blade and the sure stop firing. Don't think I'd be prepared to do that but if he's willing to good on him.

What struck me about the sure stop demonstrations though (and the finger one in particular) was the way they didn't mimic what I see as the reality of a lot of really serious accidents - those where people slip / fall into the blade. You're hand is moving a lot faster in an accident situation than it is in those demonstrations. I'd love to see what happened if they threw a sausage at the blade, I bet it doesn't come away with just a scratch then.

The black clearence insert and black top of the fence is the same as a saw stop so could be. Saw stop also has SawStop written on the fence.

I'll stick to cutting my Sausages with a knife and put a guard on my jigs methinks.

Roy.

gidon":14xd5un3 said:
tempmg.jpg

Cheers

Gidon
I showed this piccy to my daughter (who's no woodie of any sort)...took her about a second to work out that the silly person in the pic was in imminent danger of some serious leakage :shock: - Rob

My wife said EXACTLY the same thing...

"Bloody silly person's just about to lose a finger there...." were her exact words....followed by "and I don't even begin to understand woodworking"....

And she's a nurse...all be it of the mouth!

:shock: :shock:

Jim

Rob

My Son was as quick. My wife's first reaction was to refuse to believe it was a real hand as no one can be that stupid!

I still cannot decide which is worst: The person doing it or Taunton for publishing it

Latest posts

Back