Am I doing something wrong?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MauriceD

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought a new Axminster Trade Series AWFS 18 scroll saw and I cannot understand why it is so slow to cut out exterior shaped animals in pine.
I also bought the “Scroll Saw Workbook” by John A. Nelson and I am trying to follow the exercises.
Today I took nearly an hour to cut out a cat in 20mm pine. (3/4 X 4 ½ X 5 ½) using a new number 5 skip-tooth blade (pinless).
I cut a piece of pine, covered it with the modern performance masking tape ( the one that is supposed to stop paint creeping under the tape), glued the pattern on top of this tape with Bostik Fast-Tak repositionable glue, and set to work.
The best way to explain the situation is that when you look at a clock you know the hands are moving but you cannot see the movement as it is so slow. Cutting out the cat was just like this.
I varied the speed between 1200 and 1400 but it did not appear to make much difference.
If it takes this amount of time for pine I don’t think I will be trying anything harder for some time.
From what I have said above does anybody see that I am doing anything wrong?

I think you will find the blade stroke needs to be changed. Take the side cover off, and you will see a bolt on the fly wheel. use a screw driver on the wheels side (hole) to lock the wheel. when removing the bolt there may be two small shims/washer on the blind side of the wheel. Look at the shaft and there is another screwed hole on the outer side, use that hole instead of the default one. You stroke should now be longer..

Page 17 of the pdf manual

I agree, you need the longer stroke and if you are cutting in pine I would have thoiught within five minutes you would have cut the cat. Another problem with new saws is the blades that come with it, normally they are rubbish. You can easily get Niqua blades from Hobbies and they are cheaper on their e-bay site. You want reverse toothed blades, they cut on the upstroke as well as the downstroke. For 3/4 inch pine I would use a number 5 blade, maybe a number 7. If you ad number 3 blades to your list you will be covered for most things. I wish you all the best in your scrolling journey, If you have any problems be sure to come back, someone will always be available to help.

Maurice - your always welcome to pop over to mine at the weekends, I live in Erdington, so very close to you.

You can have a cuppa and try cutting some wood here, and i'll help you as much as you need.

Hi Maurice, I think my saw is the same model and I cut the goldfish from an intarsia book from 3/4 inch pine. I didn't time myself but the speed felt fine as I was aiming some precise cuts. But I agree about the blades. I did some practicing with them but now will experiment with better blades till I settle on one I am happy with. I haven't changed the stroke length but it is all explained in the manual.

Thank you all for your replies they are very welcome. Toesy I would appreciate all the help I can get and will contact you soon,
Thanks again
Maurice

MauriceD":lqm2yr7e said:
I have recently bought a new Axminster Trade Series AWFS 18 scroll saw and I cannot understand why it is so slow to cut out exterior shaped animals in pine.?

Hi MauriceD
How do you know it is cutting slow ?
Do you have experiance from previous saws or just frustrated at the speed ?

Latest posts

Back