Alan Peters Dining Chairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avengerwrc

Reaction score
I am thinking of making six dining chairs using an Alan Peters design. The one with six ash slats in the backrest. Alan suggests using a contrasting wood for the main part of the chair. Would value opinions on what wood contrasts well with ash and is suitable for chair construction.

I'm not pretending I know what I'm talking about because it would become obvious that I don't but I think I read recently that it was a good idea to use woods with different rates of expansion such that as the wood dries it pulls the joints tighter. Someone on here will know or be able to tell me I'm wrong.

Personal opinion, I think that the contrasting wood could look a bit dated. It is a fine line between wanting something that defines a period and something classical. Nobody would take an art deco piece and say "too contrasty" because they wanted it to capture the essence of that time. But this AP design is mid 80s.

I think they would look great in a single (subtle) statement timber- brown/tiger oak, rippled sycamore, curly cherry, or even a charred, iron stained oak.

Last edited:
Personal opinion, I think that the contrasting wood could look a bit dated. It is a fine line between wanting something that defines a period and something classical. Nobody would take an art deco piece and say "too contrasty" because they wanted it to capture the essence of that time. But this AP design is mid 80s.

I think they would look great in a single (subtle) statement timber- brown/tiger oak, rippled sycamore, curly cherry, or even a charred, iron stained oak.
Thanks for the comments, certainly got me thinking, never considered the contrasting timber might look dated even though the design is a classic. Really like the ripple sycamore idea that would be some statement.

Latest posts

Back