Air Filtration Systems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
I got a Jet AFS 500 a week ago, and immediatly plugged it in and put it on a shelf at ceiling height in the 'shop. I wasn't really sure how much dust it would filter, as I use extractors on all my machines. I don't use the 'shop every day, but I have been in there more often since getting the Jet.

I noticed tonight that the filter looked like it had been working, so decided to give it a quick hoover

DSC00001.jpg

The right hand side of the filter (blue) is where I hoovered the crud off.

Anybody without one of these in their shop should seriously consider getting one.

Cheers

Karl

I just got the same filter and hung it from my ceiling a couple of weeks ago. Not done much serious woodworking since then, but from what others say it makes a big difference.

Ed

we got its bigger brother, the Jet AFS-1000B. That works really well too. Had a peek behind the 2 filters and there was 4 pieces of polystyrene wrapped in plastic. Hope they werent of importance :shock: Wonder if yours have anything inside of them?

If anyones interested, last time I was in The Woodworking Centre in Northampton, Dave was selling the last of the Charnwood air filters he's got for £119. I had to phone my wife and tell her so she could forbid me from spending the money! Looking at the spec, it has greater airflow than the Jet at all 3 speeds, and, like the Jet, comes with a remote. Will someone please buy it before I go back?
If you're after an air filter unit, I would strongly suggest you give them a ring.

Adam.

I like the woodworking centre, but axminster nuneaton is so close!

I have the same jet model hung up for a year. Its been great. Between that and my Record Extractor I got from Olly I've really noticed a diffrence up my nose!

Does anybody use the charcoal filter available for the Jet?

I've been doing a bit of lacquering this weekend, and the fumes are making me dizzy!

I had thought about ducting the Jet outside, which would at least get rid of some of the fumes. But I see from the Axminster website that they sell a charcoal filter which, apparently, "neutralises" these fumes. Anybody got any experience of this?

Or does anybody else have theirs ducted outside?

Cheers

Karl

Get a mask on mate, you'll knock yourself out, and I'll have to come roound and have all your kit :lol:

I'd be interested to hear about this myself, as I'm thinking of getting into spraying stuff.

What were you spraying with ? ( what product )
Cheers

Jed

Karl":2pgwnabv said:
Does anybody use the charcoal filter available for the Jet?

I've been doing a bit of lacquering this weekend, and the fumes are making me dizzy!

I had thought about ducting the Jet outside, which would at least get rid of some of the fumes. But I see from the Axminster website that they sell a charcoal filter which, apparently, "neutralises" these fumes. Anybody got any experience of this?

Karl

Karl

You should be using a face mask with the correct filters, using the ASF 500 when you are spraying will block and ruin the very expensive filters

:lol:

I should have given more info.

I do have a face mask on, but the smell of the lacquer lingers for quite a while afterwards. I was trying to fathom a way of getting rid of the smell - whether extracting it and dumping it outside, or by carbon capture.

Paul - the lacquer is applied by brush (Chestnut melamime lacquer) - I don't have any spraying facilities.

Cheers

Karl

Please don't be offended Karl, but these separate panel filters surely demonstrate just how poorly the average bag filter dust extraction system works.

Stepping back to think about it there's probably not much sense in spraying lots of dust into the air in your shop where you have to breathe it in, and then try over time to filter it out using a method that inevitably will take quite a while to circulate all of the air contained in the shop.

It'd be so much better to organise a dust collection system that actually does that, then separates out most of the dust, and then properly filters (down to part micron size) the air before returning it to the shop. Then by all means use a panel as insurance.

The real point of all of this is that the unfortunate reality seems to be that almost all single machine bag type filters (a) don't have enough power to shift enough air to collect the dust at a machine, and (b) use filters so coarse that basically they don't.

One fix is a cyclone type system, backed up by high quality 99.99% @ 0.3 micron cartridge filters such as those done by Donaldson.

Lot's here know of Bill Pentz, his pages on this topic are very well worth reading if you value your health, and could use the information to set up one largely DIY solution that seems to work. He won't win any prizes for concise writing, but it's solid stuff. It's worth reading at least the basics page: http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking/cy ... Basics.cfm and then the medical risks page that comes after it...

ian

I use that Karl, makes a great smell. Does linger for a few days. The stuff you use it on emits it as well for about a day after spraying and drying so don't put it inside till thats stopped.

Ian - thanks for the link. I have seen some of the info before, but not all in one place. Very interesting.

I've just done a quick calculation, and if the Jet is set to its highest setting (600m3 per hour), then in my small shop (34m3) it will re-circulate the air 17 times an hour. Or 3.5 minutes for one full re-circulation.

Chems - one of the main problems i've got is that my 'shop is an attached garage - hence the removal of the smell is important.

Cheers

Karl

I am in the middle of a [pub refit and they were scrapping all of the old cigarette smoke filter units I have managed to grab three all 5 speed kleenair remote controlled units, seem to be exactly the same as the workshop ones just a nice mahogany veneer!
what a result, check to see if your local has any it doesn't need any more coz of the smoking ban!

Well you won't be needing them all. So my address is... :lol:

Going back to what onablade said, I've been trying to up my dust collection, got 3 extractors plugged together, but half of the battle is suck, the other is the design of the tool. I really fancy a TS55 not cause of the main advantages but because the dust extraction is so good. Also you have to accept that some tool operations are going to be dusty as hell, and for that you need a workshop that is uncluttered so you can go clean it all up once you take your respirator off.

Back to the air filter, all the ones posted so far are stuck in against a wall. Helps loads if you get it up in the middle of a shop where you can get good circulation. I've since lowered mine to avoid the top 3 inchs been blocked by the rafter.

Latest posts

Back