After a new combination sander - need a little advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello
Looking to buy a combination belt/desc sander.
I was thinking about an oscillating spindle sander but from checking reviews the only plus side i can see to then is internal curves.

looking at the record BDS250 for £399 http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/10 ... o1tZeiLSUk
but looking on axminster site they have a AWEBDS610 for £150 cheaper but from the looks of it they look identical maybe all from the same factory and just re badged? http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... der-501258

The thing putting me off the axminster one is that it's "hobby" rated, could it be the same as the record one and they are both hobby style ones?

Axminster also do this one but is it worth the extra few hundred pound? http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-tr ... der-505091

The jet one gets poor reviews which is a shame as i like jet stuff and it looks a neat wee unit http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-jsg-96-c ... der-510390

What one would you guys get or any other ones you can advice on?

Thanks James

Hi

I had the same dilemma last year, upgrading from a 6" disc plus 4" belt to something a lot more substantial.

The offer wasn't on with the Axi hobby model and I went with the Record for the extra two years warranty for the £50 extra. It's a solid enough piece of kit, but I wouldn't describe it as smooth or quiet.

It sounds like a tank driving over a cattle grid.

That said, it's accurate, powerful and efficient at dust disposal. I use it bench mounted and for me the trade Axi would not have worked access wise, with the belt perpendicular to the disc.

The table is solid, the fence a decent fit, and runs smoothly in the track

I can't see me ever wanting, or having to replace it. I certainly don't regret paying the £399 for it.

Phil

Hi Phil
Thanks for the reply.
If you were buying today what one would you go record or axminster ? seems a no brainer to get the axminster at £150 cheaper if they are indeed the same.

They certainly are the same machine with a different coat of paint. Today I would have gone with the Axi unit and saved the £100

I was prepared to go to £600 but there was nothing up to that price with any more benefit for the extra money. I do think there is a void in that price point for a decent, solid, combo machine above the Record/Axi.

You won't be disappointed, but I did expect for some reason for it to be a little more refined. Perhaps all belt sanders (cos that's the noisiest element) are a little 'rough'.

Phil

I used to have an older version of the Axminster sander - I suspect the only reason it is hobby rated is that the sanding belt is belt driven rather than the direct drive of the Axminster trade sander. I sold it some time ago but now regret it although I am tempted to get one again if the price is as low as £250.

Edit - just checked the Axminster site and it seems the price is £300? Either way, I don't think the extra two year warranty is worth the extra cost for the Record for what is a very simple machine.

no idea":36cgvj7r said:
I used to have an older version of the Axminster sander - I suspect the only reason it is hobby rated is that the sanding belt is belt driven rather than the direct drive of the Axminster trade sander. I sold it some time ago but now regret it although I am tempted to get one again if the price is as low as £250.

Edit - just checked the Axminster site and it seems the price is £300? Either way, I don't think the extra two year warranty is worth the extra cost for the Record for what is a very simple machine.

Yeah i noticed that, when i first posted this the site was 299, then after a while it was 249 when you clicked on it and now back to 299 :?:
Think a bit of a website malfunction :) Anyway 299 delivered seems good and still 100 cheaper than the record unit.

Not sure what Axminter's pricing policy is.

In December I bought the Jet 3520b lathe from them for £2599 including the bed extension. Today the same package is £3088. Last week I paid £1099 for the jet 16" bandsaw with a £37 m42 blade, today it is £1299 bare unit.

I think it's a case of grab it when the price is marked low for the very limited time the deals, if indeed that is what they are, last.

Phil

I'm in a similar dilemma, the main thing that puts me off is the sticky backed disc sanders, which by all Acounts makes them unusable once you take them off.

Hi Trigs
It was putting me of a little also but most seem to use adhesive, Surely it can be modded with some velcro though?
I ended up ordering the axminster hobby unit as it's exactly the same as the record but £100 cheaper.. and axminster do free delivery :)
Hopefully will get it tomorrow... Rip of the terrible "axminster hobby" stickers and i should be good to go :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I wondered if adding Velcro would be something that could be done, let me know how you get on, I'll be putting an order in end of next week

Jmac80":1fynabz6 said:
Trigs":1fynabz6 said:
Yeah, I wondered if adding Velcro would be something that could be done, let me know how you get on, I'll be putting an order in end of next week

shall do mate :)

The problem I would foresee with Velcro backing is that it would make the face 'spongy' Be interesting to hear from someone who runs with Velcro discs.

Yes, the discs are certainly unusable when removed, which is a bi***h of a job in itself, but the surface is absolutely flat and solid in use. This gives a perfect finish to whatever you are sanding. I just run with a 150 grit disc all the time and have three grades of belt 100, 140 and 180, which only take seconds to change.

Phil

Sheptonphil":1vwsxvfb said:
Jmac80":1vwsxvfb said:
Trigs":1vwsxvfb said:

shall do mate :)

The problem I would foresee with Velcro backing is that it would make the face 'spongy' Be interesting to hear from someone who runs with Velcro discs.

Yes, the discs are certainly unusable when removed, which is a bi***h of a job in itself, but the surface is absolutely flat and solid in use. This gives a perfect finish to whatever you are sanding. I just run with a 150 grit disc all the time and have three grades of belt 100, 140 and 180, which only take seconds to change.

Phil

Ah good point on the face, I never thought of that, though I suppose if your sticking with the same grit there's no wastage though

Trigs":3t5nne1z said:
Ah good point on the face, I never thought of that, though I suppose if your sticking with the same grit there's no wastage though

That's the only reason I stick to the same grit. They are too expensive to throw away half used so is impractical to change grits until one becomes unusable. 150 is a good all round cut/finish grade.

I was thinking the same that it could make it spongy but look all the festool, mirka, bosch sanders etc they are all velcro and it's not really spongy unless you put a soft pad on. I have a hard sanding pad for my festool sander and it's not spongy at all.
A thin tight velcro maybe worth a try. Cant hurt to try :)

Hemsby":1v8agufg said:
Could this be the answer to the Velcro pads :?:

http://www.charnwood.net/shop/product/v ... iscs?cid=4

Thanks mate
Ordered so will give it a whirl :)
The sander turned up today and I must admit it seems pretty good, it removes wood super fast and seems of a decent build.
It's a little noisy but not annoy the neighbours noisy... more "i should maybe wear some ear protection" kinda noise when the vac is on also.
I didn't realise these types of sanders spun so fast but i guess I'm used to my slow going water stone grinder that chugs away.
Overall I'm chuffed with it and it doesn't take up too much room, can also easily be moved as it has handles at the side.
The hobby stickers are removed and I'm happy :lol:
Cheers

Glad you're happy with your new machine James.

Did you compare things like the motor and bearing specifications with the Record one when concluding they were the same machine ?

A lot of kit comes out of the same Far East factories and is re-badged and painted for different brands, so they can look very similar, but the component specifications can be quite different depending on what the reseller asks the factory for, uprated continuous running motors instead of hobby rated that need to cool down after a few minutes or have a lower life expectancy, quality of bearings etc.

Cheers, Paul

paulm":2oipvf4n said:
Glad you're happy with your new machine James.

Did you compare things like the motor and bearing specifications with the Record one when concluding they were the same machine ?

A lot of kit comes out of the same Far East factories and is re-badged and painted for different brands, so they can look very similar, but the component specifications can be quite different depending on what the reseller asks the factory for, uprated continuous running motors instead of hobby rated that need to cool down after a few minutes or have a lower life expectancy, quality of bearings etc.

Cheers, Paul

That's a good point Paul and have been reading this thread with interest as a disc / belt sander is on the shopping list. Both these machines are quoted as having a 1hp motor and weigh the same at 47kg (according to specs on respective websites). As I am not very mechanically minded I wondered how one would establish any differences, other than asking RP "excuse me, why does your machine cost £100 more than one from Axminster that looks the same and has the same published spec", or maybe that is exactly what one should do?

It does raise another question in my mind. Are the terms "hobby rated" and "trade rated" subjective and just defined by each manufacturer, or is there some sort of objective standard?

Any thoughts you or others have would be much appreciated.

Terry.

Probably not a bad idea to ask both Record and Axi' Terry, see what each says, would be interesting.

As you say, there is insufficient information on either the Record site or the Axi' site to make a detailed comparison, having had a quick look just now.

I think Axi' define their hobby/trade ratings somewhere on their website that give an indication of what to expect, but there are no objective common standards adopted across manufacturers to ny knowledge.

Cheers, Paul

Back