Afromosia

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive got the topsides of a 40' boat to build and have been looking at timbers to use . Teak would be the best but to pricey ,Iroko next but then i came across Afromosia wich i believe is part of the Iroko family . Has anyone used this timber before ?

Whats it like to work with , is it durable , what the cost compared to Iroko , does it blunt tools quick , that sort of thing . Oh and where did you buy it .
Thanks , Jason

TryPriday's they have it listed.

"movement of the wood is small. it is very durable and also insect resistant"

"Afrormosia
Product Type: Hardwood
Density: 710 Kg/m3
Colour: Brown Light
Texture: Fine/ Medium
Durability: Durable
Permeability: Very Resistant
Origin: West Africa
Species Name: Pericopsis elata
Environmental:
Listed in CITES Appendix II. Species is not necessarily now threatened with extinction but may become so unless trade is closely controlled. Permits required for trade.
Notes:
Liable to stain when in contact with iron in damp conditions"

Jason

Sorry to say but I think you will find Priday's is closed for good :(
Hi Jason
To use it not to bad buit can some times have crossed grain and not bad on tools but the last time I used it I was employed ( have only beeen working for myself for 3 years ). so how much and where to get I cant help you with.
I hope I was some help :)

i've just looked at the mechanical values on the site i posted and unless im missing something Afromosia seems to be a better material to use than Teak . :-k

Yesterday I was quoted a price on teak - £68/cu ft for 2in. That's a good reason to look for alternatives.

Scrit

That would depend on how good or bad the teak was
Ive just looked at the site i posted above and i assume they are testing the best timber . All the timbers stats are from the same site so i dont think it would be misleading .
If someone else would be so kind as to have a look :oops: I think Afromosia is a more stable and structually better than Teak .

I have the World woods in colour and in here it does say finer than teak without the oiliness :) .
Also saysits good for Interior and exterior applications such as boat building,sills and marine piling are just some of the things it can be used for.
So I would go a head use to your hearts content :wink: .
I hope that what you wanted to hear :)

It was what i wanted to hear and what i thought . Im still waiting for a price on it so it could cost more than Teak :shock:

JFC":2akcqbar said:
It was what i wanted to hear and what i thought . Im still waiting for a price on it so it could cost more than Teak :shock:
I would not think that it would be any where near the price of teak.
I will see if I can get a price for you tomorrow if that would help :)

great but dont try Hansons cause they are looking for me :lol: Do you know if it can be briwaxed ? I like that finish :lol:

Latest posts

Back