Another wood idenfication question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the detailed replies all,

A couple of members suggest that I pay attention to the orientation of the end grain, which I fully undertstand, but I have searched online, but have not really found any definate instructions of what the orientation should be?

I am assuming that each piece of timber should be rotated 180 degrees? I.e. Every second piece should have the same grain direction/orientation??

Again, thanks for the extremely in depth information that has been provided

Thanks for the detailed replies all,

A couple of members suggest that I pay attention to the orientation of the end grain, which I fully undertstand, but I have searched online, but have not really found any definate instructions of what the orientation should be?

I am assuming that each piece of timber should be rotated 180 degrees? I.e. Every second piece should have the same grain direction/orientation??

Again, thanks for the extremely in depth information that has been provided
this will help

Try wood anatomy --- parenchyma
This gives masses of information about wood identification. It suggests polishing the end grain to give better identification. I also think density is a good clue for the identification process especially as it's a really easy characteristic to obtain.
Have fun
Martin

Back