Affordable Biscuit Joiner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawkEye

Established Member
Reaction score
After looking on ebay and such like it seems the very least I'm going to spend is about fourty pounds. Screwfix prices seem to be a little OTT at the moment and all the well known retailers don't seem to stock Biscuit Jointers... even Argos. If anyone can recommend where I can buy a very affordable one that won't nacker out quickly I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Wickes do one for about £45.00, but that's only helpful if you have one near you, you could also try your nearest toolstation.

Rich.

Don't forget Aldi.

The fence and plunge mech are what make a good un
Some of the cheaper ones are total rubbish some are
hard to tell from the dearest I have a very old Wickes one that could only be described as sh#te so I never use it :lol:

Regards Tom

Biscuit joiners are notoriously rubbish at the cheap end.

Sorry to be a harbinger of doom, but the least you should aim for is a little Freud, if they still do them.

I have a Mafell and it is excellent, but will set you back rather more than you have in mind.

BTW, did you know that the reason that there is no Festool BJ is because they decided that they could not significantly improve on the Lamello?

Cheers
Steve

That's funny. When I saw this thread I went off to find a Freud biscuit jointer. Couldn't see them anywhere.

I totally agree with Steve. A rubbish BJ is absolutely useless.

Spend a bit of money. It's a shame they don't make the Elu one anymore that MarkW's got. I really liked that.

a decent router cutter and an offset base cost about the same as a cheap biscuit jointer, may be more limited but gives a very high quality result for occasional use. It seems odd that those of us 'hobbyists' use some very expensive equipment, to put it simply, I don't have the time to practice! I want it right first time as it's the only time I've got. If I were to buy a cutter now the Wealden tool one is the best on paper

Aidan

I read a post on here a while ago that mentions the Clarke biscuit jointer from Machine Mart was a very good buy for the price, around £50 I think.

I plan to purchase one myself at some point.

I admit I haven't had the chance to try a good quality biscuit jointer yet so maybe I can't appreciate the differences. However my £35 el-cheapo one plunges ok, doesn't slip and aligns the boards fine. The dust extraction is also surprisingly good. What else should I expect from it ?

I have the clarke machine which is the best buy in the cheaper category. It works okay but I have found the standard clamp screw for the blade offset tends to slip, so the slot position on the board will wander. I intend to fit a screw which can be done up tighter to see if this will cure the problem

I <think> DeWalt do still make the old Elu pivoting BJ, if it's really wanted. I've got the Elu, which I find "OK". Got nothing to compare it with, but since it cost me under £30 secondhand, it seemed like a reasonable investment.

The Elu one I was referring to was the 'normal' plunge type but that the power switch is pressed only when plunging. With my Freud it's a positive on and off, which I sometimes fine unwieldy and dangerous

wizer":2fk65wf6 said:
I totally agree with Steve. A rubbish BJ is absolutely useless.

i know its childish buts its christmas and no-one else has mentioned it.

but that did make me laugh...

and its also true lol

brihol":1cgc6l6j said:
I have the clarke machine which is the best buy in the cheaper category. It works okay but I have found the standard clamp screw for the blade offset tends to slip, so the slot position on the board will wander. I intend to fit a screw which can be done up tighter to see if this will cure the problem

same here, bought it for myself for xmas and have found the same, shouldn't take much to fix it (i hope!) :D

I bought the wickes one earlier this year, and found the factory adjustment was out by as much as 5mm. as a beginner of biscuit jointing I needed to find something cheap to practise with.

I'd had enough of adjusting the set screw so I went out and bought the Erbauer from screwfix, No trouble at all. Build quality is good. very happy.

I'll gradually move on up the biscuit jointer ladder as my skills get better.

Jay

I bought a Trend biscuit cutting router bit, but never really got on with it a I found it a hassle to cut the slot the right length. Not money wasted as I use it as a slotting cutter now.

In the end I bought a Lamello machine on the basis that the company who invented biscuits would probably have it sussed - they do, the machine is brilliant. Unfortunately it is not cheap, but I'll make my usual comment here which is buy once, buy quality.

Cheers, Ed

"It ain't what you got, it's how you use it......"

How many times are we going to have a label-orgy, when all you need to do is figure out the vices of your machine and apply just a little lateral thinking to overcoming them? How quickly did we forget Jake Darvall's Record 43 adaptation for example? Join forces all ye olde curmudgeons and advance to do battle with the brand-adicted throw-money-at-the-problem lot.

My Screwfix £25 pounder serves me well;'cept it blows sawdust right up my sleeve or down my open shirt front if I get too intimate with it......

Lamelo? Freud? No way, not with 2 at university and a third one going shortly. All you mainlanders don't know you're living, not having to pay for flights and with nice big motorways to use. Curmudgeons rule!!!!

Sam

PS Couldn't let 2008 pass without a wicked rant....

SammieQ":16jfmbqg said:
"It ain't what you got, it's how you use it......"

Couldn't agree more.

How many times are we going to have a label-orgy, when all you need to do is figure out the vices of your machine and apply just a little lateral thinking to overcoming them? How quickly did we forget Jake Darvall's Record 43 adaptation for example? Join forces all ye olde curmudgeons and advance to do battle with the brand-adicted throw-money-at-the-problem lot.

Its got nothing to do with label orgy - a debate about biscuit joiners is almost certain to involve discussion of the various makes on the market - wouldn't be much of a discussion without that. True the OP was asking about 'affordable' biscuit joiners which probably means me mentioning Lamello is out of place as I imagine some/most people would see them as being at the wrong end of the market in this instance, but thats what I have. Different people choose to deploy their resources differently in life - just because you choose to spend money on something doesn't make you brand addicted or guilty of throwing money at problems in my opinion.

PS Couldn't let 2008 pass without a wicked rant....

I'll take that to mean that your comments are generally intended to be tongue in cheek, so not something to be taken too seriously.

Cheers, Ed

I originally bought one of the Axminster white ones had it for about 10 mins to realise it was piece of junk sent it back. I then got a Makita I've had it for 4 years or so. I've been using it today and it's a nice bit of kit.
I would willingly pay the smallest amount of money for the most no name bit of kit if I could, it has nothing to do with brand names. It has everything to do with "fit for purpose" level of satisfaction acheived by the end result. Amount of time wasted trying to get it to work. Work ruined because some clever modification failed etc etc.
To be honest I think I would soomer go back to dowels a 6/8 brad point bit and centre finders than put up with something not fit for the job.
The Axminster one couldn't be modded as the worst problem was variable end float on the gearbox giving random size/slot position.
I should say this is not a criticism of Axminster products in general just that one.

Alan

Back