Advice - wormy applewood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobblezard

1 step forward, 2 back, 2 forward - rest - repeat
Reaction score
I have been given some apple logs for Xmas, some good girth (15-16") and figuring but clear evidence (holes and tunnels) of worm/beetle damage to the outside inch or so, the trees were blown over around a month or two ago but have clearly been unwell for a while - what to do? Should I:

A: Wet turn it - cutting away the (obviously) affected parts and treat rest with permethrin or similar (limiting use considerably)
B: Wet turn it- cutting away the (obviously) affected parts and then leave rest untreated
C: Treat it with permethrin and season it before turning (obviously with good respiratory protection)
D: Split it and put in the wood burner...
E: None of the above?_________________

Thanks in advance for any suggestions....

Just turn or cut away the affected parts. Don't worry about treating it with anything. Some of the beetles don't go much deeper than under the bark and some only go into the sap wood so I would take it down to good wood and see what happens. It might be worth storing it away from the rest of your good wood just in case though!

I would rough turn bowl blanks and if really worried about worms, drop the blank in hot water and simmer for an hour, allow to cool in the water then treat as per wet wood blank. Even better if you have an microwave safe bowl to put the blank in water and full of water, give then 10 minutes boiling, then leave to cool as before.

At a push you could microwave the bare wood, but problem is it will cool quickly. (microwaves heats water not wood) worms/eggs are mostly water

You could turn away the wormy parts and then, if worried there might be hidden worms still left - pop the items in the deep freeze for 2 -3 weeks to make sure they are killed.

I would turn a piece of your choice, following whichever of the above suggestions you like best, retain as many wormholes as possible, and enter it in the January challenge for "something pierced". :wink:

Ian

Thanks for the advice folks, didn't think about heat or cold or the pierced look... Will be trying at least one of these on the weekend when I get to play :)

Back