Advice sought please: Tiling around a Baxi Gas Fire

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have to make a fire surround and mantle. Before I do this, I have to tile around the fire itself (A Baxi gas/back boiler fire.)

According to British Gas, I can't surround the fire with a flammable material, such as melamine faced MDF. So I decided on porcelain tiles. I know how to cut tiles, but my problem starts with the relationship between the dimensions of the tiles, and the dimensions of the fire itself.

I am trying to avoid cutting 'filler tiles' at the sides, (or in the centre) and also having to cut a corner out of the tiles situated at the left and right top corners of the fire. (I hope I am explaining this clearly!!)

To get around this, I wondered if I could use a suitable pattern of mosaic tile? These tiles, I believe, are attached to a card or paper backing. This would make them easier to cut neatly, to fit around the fire and would also 'hide' any tiles that I need to cut into a smaller size to fill gaps.

So the upshot is, are these mosaic tiles in fact, on a flexible backing that I can cut with a Stanley knife?
I am sure some of you pro bathroom and kitchen fitters will know this. Of course, any suggestions as to a good make/line/type of tile would be most welcome.

Sorry to be a pest folks, but I would be extremely grateful (No pun intended! ) for any info.

Many thanks in Anticipation. :D

All the tile backings can be cut with a knife be it a mesh on the backs or paper front.

Your main issue is going to be heat making teh adhesive go off too fast. At a minimum you want the boiler off for a week so the adhesive has a chance to go off 28 days would be better but I've done above several Agas and allowed 7 days without probem.

Use a good powdered adhesive, BAL mosaicfix is ideal

Original Style have a good range of mosaic and Fired earth do a lot if you have deep pockets

http://www.originalstyle.com/downloads_mosaics.htm

J

jasonB":pmsp0te1 said:
All the tile backings can be cut with a knife be it a mesh on the backs or paper front.

Your main issue is going to be heat making teh adhesive go off too fast. At a minimum you want the boiler off for a week so the adhesive has a chance to go off 28 days would be better but I've done above several Agas and allowed 7 days without probem.

Use a good powdered adhesive, BAL mosaicfix is ideal

Original Style have a good range of mosaic and Fired earth do a lot if you have deep pockets

http://www.originalstyle.com/downloads_mosaics.htm

J

Thanks Jason.

I have done a bit of Googling this morning, and found out about the mesh. I also note there are some natural stone mosaics, which I think SWIMBO might prefer... She won't like the idea of the boiler being off for too long. Although I am obliviously going to wait for warmer weather, we still need hot water! Which is what I shall be in, if I don't get this done before the summer! :mrgreen:

So it's more research I guess!

Many thanks.

:D

Back