Portable gas fires and bottled gas.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the true reason for posting is out.
Another bitter quote from a remainer.
Which puzzles me, because you are happy and content where you live, or so you say,
So why stir the pot?
You would do well to look at the UK GDP figures and compare them to the rest of the EU.
They make your comments unfactual and blatently stupid.
Why would you call me a remainer? I left the UK in 87, ( despite having thriving businesses there ) because I ( amongst other reasons ) had had enough of the voices of the bitter and xenophobic such as yourself , which were getting louder. Blaming everyone except themselves for the state of the UK. I ( and others ) could see Brexit coming 40 years before it happened.

I posted in answer to your question..No pot stirring..prices have gone up all over, shortages all over..But price rises and shortages are worse in the UK than in the EU.. UK businesses that used to export to the EU have in many cases gone bust ( I used to deal with some of them, they no longer exist ) due to votes like yours ( I didn't vote , was deemed not eligible to do so, despite having at the time a valid UK passport, fortunately I also have an Irish one ).. my comments are factual, whereas yours are in direct contradiction with the current state of prices and availability of goods in the UK compared to the EU.
Why is life to difficult and expensive?
and I posted facts about gas prices here..you've' posted only suppositions about gas prices here..suppositions which are incorrect.
I'll leave you to your supposedly wonderful economy and your whining about prices you pay for bottle gas , and shortage of bottles in the UK.

Why is life to difficult and expensive?
The expensive bit is simply because there are those whose whole life revolves around wealth, more wealth and making more wealth at everyone elses expense. It is just a vicous circle of winners and losers but there are far more people on the losing side. A lot of the "excuses" for cost rises are nothing more than a good reason for someone to make more money, so to resolve so many of the issues facing the UK and europe is to devalue wealth as a metric for success or social standing and replace it with knowledge and achievement. Life in the UK will be as good as europe once we accept that we are no longer in the correct place on the worlds stage, this applies to a lot of the west and whilst we are fighting to just hold on to this position it is just a waste of time and effort and makes life harder for the people.

It doesn't look like Amateur is the xenophobic one.

Incidentally, the main cause of overall UK inflation is food price increases ..................... which are higher in Germany (presumably caused by Brexit as well?).
Xenophobia Phil is fear or hatred of foreigners, I have no problem with foreigners : ) I just think that Brexiters should own the chaos and economic hardship that their votes have inflicted upon themselves and others.
Since Covid and the war in Ukraine all economies have had problems, but the UKs began long before, became much worse after the Brexit vote ( the next day ), now Brexit is the "dogs chocolate cherry" on the top of the UKs economic woes.
As Spectric says the problem is greed, and Brexit was pushed for by those ( disaster capitalists ..rees smugg etc ) who stood to make the most from it, and some of those who would obviously suffer from it voted for it anyway, often because it played right into their xenophobia.Not all Brexiters were xenophobe*, but all xenophobes were Brexiters.

*I could have used another word there..begins with R..best not to be a returning to the UK from holiday darker hued UK citizen , unless one is a current or former UK home secretary. I met a Brexiter here, lived here for years, has had to go back.Told me she voted Brexit because there were too many foreigners in the UK and France, (and Brexit meant that they'd all have to leave the UK ) , she pointed an "example" of "foreigners" out to me at the time ( in a supermarket here, I was reaching something for her from a shelf that was too high, never met her before I offered to do so) her "foreigners" were a black family, who live in our village, as did their grandparents, french. I put what she wanted back on the high shelf and told her "that as Brexit was going to affect her, the sooner she was gone, the better".
Life in the UK will be as good as europe once we accept that we are no longer in the correct place on the worlds stage
Would have been had the UK stayed in the EU, now it is running in a race having shot itself in the foot halfway through.

Last edited:
all economies have had problems, but the UKs began long before
We started the descent when we got rid of manufacturing, became a nation of service industries and put too many eggs in the financial sector.

The other masive crisis which is only just showing itself is de-skilling, a lot of skilled people have left the working life but no one had the sense to get them to help train people before they left to ensure continuity.

The UK is like a 5ft nothing boxer weighing in at 8 stones amongst other boxers all more than six foot and 14 stones so clearly cannot do very well unless we go and play with boxers like ourselves. All empires have come and gone, you get big and can only remain on top until someone knocks you down a few pegs and that is what is happening but it is the rise of the east and in or out of the EU will not solve our issues. It comes back to wealth, we have essentially priced ourselves out of being competative and our love of cheap goods has just fueled the asian export markets.

To continue your simili :)
In the EU, the UK was part of a team ( which as a whole was the biggest and strongest ) and could take on the others such as USA or PRC. Outside it is a bantamweight ( my dad was a pro-boxer before he was RAF, and boxed for them too, and later trained others in there, so I understand you there Spectric :) ).

On this
We started the descent when we got rid of manufacturing, became a nation of service industries and put too many eggs in the financial sector.
and this

The other masive crisis which is only just showing itself is de-skilling, a lot of skilled people have left the working life but no one had the sense to get them to help train people before they left to ensure continuity.
I agree with you completely.
and
It comes back to wealth, we have essentially priced ourselves out of being competative and our love of cheap goods has just fueled the asian export markets.
Not just the UK, Most of the world wants "cheap" and "right now" ( Including France, although to a lesser degree than the UK ) without them realising that they are paying for it with their and their kids futures.
TV here has amongst the celebrity dross and the cookery carp , some very good " how the workers and the artisans and crafts" are making "name your french region here" proud and excelling on the world stage.I record them whenever I can, latest one about Brittany region was 2 days ago, apart from the usual "oyster producers" the rest was glass work ( exports all over the world ) highly detailed models for museums etc ( exports all over the world ) and so on. They run these kind of programs prime time on the 5th channel and on ARTE, Encouraging, but then France has always been proud of it's artisans and skills.
They also have les Compagnons du Devoir ...english page here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compagnons_du_DevoirThey have immense respect from the french and internationally, I think Adam W has mentioned them here.
Plus the Chambre des Artisans..and apprentices schemes and systems in all trades ( although the German apprentice system is larger there ) I remember at my UK school ( grammar ) in the 60s, we had woodwork, metalwork and techdrawing*..for the first 3 years..Now ?

*In very well equipped workshops with very good teachers.. we also got the maths , physics, chemistery, biology, latin, greek , french, german, eng lang, eng lit, history, geography , art, music etc..But the important thing is / was that the "hands on" practical skills were valued, and even though we were supposed to be the "academic ones", were were introduced to the workshops, and were taught well, those skills never leave you.

Now everyone wants to be an "influencer", football player, pop star, financier ( they can't all be famous at once ) and getting your hands dirty and making tangible things has been devalued since the 70's in the UK in my experience.

ps..I think @Droogs mentioned being taught by a German equivalent to a Compagnon du Devoir .

Last edited:
Facebook marketplace, Nextdoor and Freecycle are good sources too. I managed to acquire 10 15Kg and 8 7Kg bottles last year. One old lady had 4 in her garden one of which was full and another half full - she had no idea but I insisted on paying her the full price for the gas and gave her £75 cash, I then sold the 2 empty ones for £25 :).

Someone on Freecycle offered me a full 7Kg bottle which he was about to take to the tip :oops: I gave him 2 bottles of wine as a thankyou.

I managed to keep the central heating off at home until late December and the electric heaters in my small office were off all winter. Saved a fortune, electric company wanted 86p per KWh - that would have cost £10 an hour to heat my office. The gas bottles cost me £35 a month.
Thankyou....I missed searching here untill the wife mentioned it.

Back to gas cylinders….
Does anyone know for certain whether flogas will accept calor bottles for refill/exchange?
Tia
I would not have thought so as it would leave them with Calor property they couldn't legally dispose of.
Cheers, Andy

Why would you call me a remainer? I left the UK in 87, ( despite having thriving businesses there ) because I ( amongst other reasons ) had had enough of the voices of the bitter and xenophobic such as yourself , which were getting louder. Blaming everyone except themselves for the state of the UK. I ( and others ) could see Brexit coming 40 years before it happened.

I posted in answer to your question..No pot stirring..prices have gone up all over, shortages all over..But price rises and shortages are worse in the UK than in the EU.. UK businesses that used to export to the EU have in many cases gone bust ( I used to deal with some of them, they no longer exist ) due to votes like yours ( I didn't vote , was deemed not eligible to do so, despite having at the time a valid UK passport, fortunately I also have an Irish one ).. my comments are factual, whereas yours are in direct contradiction with the current state of prices and availability of goods in the UK compared to the EU.

and I posted facts about gas prices here..you've' posted only suppositions about gas prices here..suppositions which are incorrect.
I'll leave you to your supposedly wonderful economy and your whining about prices you pay for bottle gas , and shortage of bottles in the UK.
Amazing were are probably one of the most welcoming countries in the world
Since WW2 we have invited
Polish
West Indian,
Pakistani
Indian
Rawandan
Eastern Europeans,
Syrians
Ukrainian etc etc.

Ok we have made mistakes like windrush etc

But we are as tolerant as anywhere if not more so!

Why else would people dangerously cross the channel to come here?

Amazing were are probably one of the most welcoming countries in the world
Since WW2 we have invited
Polish
West Indian,
Pakistani
Indian
Rawandan
Eastern Europeans,
Syrians
Ukrainian etc etc.

Ok we have made mistakes like windrush etc

But we are as tolerant as anywhere if not more so!

Why else would people dangerously cross the channel to come here?
Maybe it has something to do with prior to WW2 the UK had invaded
all of those people's countries and plundered them, treating their peoples like dirt ,except the Ukraine, or traded the ancestors of those who now live in those countries as slaves.
Your king just got crowned wearing jewels stolen from many counties..His Royal family got rich by trading slaves.
As to how they treated us Irish..the first concentration camps were invented by the British for the Irish..long before WW2
there would have been no famine in Ireland, no deaths with green mouths from only having grass to eat if the British had not taken all the food produced by the Irish over the water to Britain.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coercion_Acthttps://www.theirishstory.com/2019/...eople-coercion-in-nineteenth-century-ireland/tolerant ?
I remember when my Dad and Mum ( him Irish, her English, both serving RAF came back with me from their first posting to Germany and had no AMQ ready to move into so had to rent somewhere private for a month .and me asking dad what it meant when we saw places that said "rooms to rent" with signs in the windows of loads of them that said "No Blacks, no Dogs, no Irish".
Tolerant my arris.
Even the fact that you use the word tolerant instead of welcoming speaks volumes.

They also try to reach the UK because they speak English ( the language of those who invaded their countries ) and the UK has huge "black economy" so they can work without papers, and if they are lucky they get paid by their employers. Except those who get forced into involuntary prostitution or slavery ( yes you have lots of both in the UK )..or used by "gangmasters" and die in a bay collecting shell fish.
What kind of "civilised" country has gangmasters ?
One which exploits immigrants.

Last edited:
So the true reason for posting is out.
Another bitter quote from a remainer.
Which puzzles me, because you are happy and content where you live, or so you say,
So why stir the pot?
You would do well to look at the UK GDP figures and compare them to the rest of the EU.
They make your comments unfactual and blatently stupid.
Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 22.08.59.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back