Advice on combi machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a second hand combi machine with planer, thicknesser and saw functions; anything else (e.g. spindle) is a bonus. What should I be looking for?

Dave

Google up Felder, they make the best combi's, they also have a used section on their site.

Make sure you get one with a separate motor for each of the three main functions, the single motor ones will drive you mad keep changing the belts. Also consider how quickly you can swap between functions.

Jason

Dave,
You don't say why you want a combi but be aware that you will need plenty of space around it to get at each of the functions easily.

Hi Dave,

Could you give us an idea of budget.

I went through a similar process a couple of months ago with a budget of around £2000

There were a couple of combi machines on ebay that once VAT and single phase where added came in a around £2k. Also, Felder UK have a record for sale £1500 (very negotiable!) but its the single motor model.

Felder UK had a CF371 but thats sold. From memory it was up at £3800 (+VAT??). They are showing a 3 phase one from a private seller for £4300.

I looked at the Metabo and Record at the DM tools show and concluded that they needed a lot of room around them, and so no real space saving over separates.

In the end I bought separates, an Axminster table saw, Planer Thicknesser and in progress on the Triton Router + table. These came to around £1350 and I've spent the saving on other machines like a bandsaw, extraction etc.

Thanks for the thoughts thus far.
TBH there isn't a fixed budget. Until now I've been using my Shopsmith as a sawtable and I've survived without a planer/thicknesser, so anything will be an improvement. Whatever I get needs to be capable of being moved around the workshop occasionally. Three phase would be OK as I have several inverters and a converter.

For years I've had many of the bits for an Inca 260 planer thicknesser - one option would be to try and get this going, but it wouldn't solve the need for a decent saw table.

Dave

DaveS, I have recently bought a Record C26+ and I use it in a 8ft wide workshop. If I remove the squaring table its only 31" wide. There is no need to walk around it as planing is carried out on one side and sawing from the other and it's relatively easy to move on the wheels. It does concentrate the mind on planning out each operation.

In my workshop I have an old record c26. Not used at the moment. It's Ok, but only has a single motor. It is a pain in the backside to keep switching the belt over, then you lose some of the settings if you need to go back. There are various other probs with it. Now thats not to say they cannot be useful, and can be very good to save room, BUT as already has been said, if at all possible go for one with 3 seperate motors.

There is one other real pain with the record one. To adjust the height of the saw blade you have this silly lever you have to literally lever up, now (and I'm sorry I can't quite remember just what part of it - I think it is the actual locking bit) on part of it, it is just a poor cast alloy that snaps so you cannot fix the blade at a correct height easily.

So yes go for one, but go for the best you can. You might still be better of with seperates if you carefully plan the layout.

Woody

Back