Advice needed - soundproofing an apartment workshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trizza

Established Member
Reaction score
Until now I've been using our apartment's glassed-in balcony as a workshop. This is not ideal in many, many ways - not least of all the exposure to changing humidity and temperature, and the inability to make construction noise after 7pm. I get home from work around 6:30pm, so this means that projects happen at a glacial pace!
My wife has become increasingly impressed and supportive of my projects - so much so that I have her blessing to take over a room (or large wardrobe) of our next flat so that I can have a dedicated indoor space for my work. We are likely to upsell to somewhere with several more rooms within the next year. I would love to upgrade to a house with a cellar but those are likely out of our budget :(

Typical apartment building construction here consists of solid reinforced concrete walls, which seems to quite readily transmit noise. Ideally I'd like to be able to soundproof the room to reduce noise transmission to reasonable levels - allowing me to work until the 10pm all noise cutoff time (this is the time at which you're not allowed to run washing machies or listen to loud music).

I'm primarily a hand tool user and I'm likely to remain such - perhaps with the addition of a small bandsaw to assist with rough stock prep. So I don't have many ways to produce loud high pitched noises or vibration - I basically just need to find a way to quieten the handsaw and chisel sounds!

Has anyone done this before? Does anyone have advice?

You will need to line all walls with Resilient channel, and mount two layers of 15mm Soundblock plasterboard on these using sound-isolation clips. In between layers of plasterboard, you could consider using Greenglue, which is a damping compound. You will need to stop all plasterboard 5mm from the edges of the existing walls. All joins filled with acoustic sealant. Same for the ceiling.

I suggest you read this, as it explains what you will need to do, in simple easy terms.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Recording- ... 398&sr=8-1

Sound isolation is not easy or cheap when retrofitting. Good luck.

different densities of insulating material are the key apparently. when you cant use just mass, the different densities absorb different soundwavelengths.

jeff

Latest posts

Back