Advice needed regarding some old rusty junk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osvaldd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm in the process of clearing someones property and in exchange I get to keep stuff.
Theses a table saw, a planer and a large pillar drill. Very heavy duty and very heavily rusted. lol
I'm not a power tool man so these do not interest me. I would get a few quid just as scrap metal but my conscience tell me this might be useful for somebody.
I just want to know from more knowledgeable people is there a market for these? If I took them home, cleaned them, made them work. Or am I wasting time?

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 337
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    588.4 KB · Views: 337
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    555.6 KB · Views: 338
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    491.6 KB · Views: 338
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    483.5 KB · Views: 338
Emphatically not junk!! Were I to be still in Norn Iron, I would be hammering on your door!
Yes, there is a bit of work to get them working again, but the rust is superficial and I see no signs of gross abuse in the few pikkies you posted.

Sam

Definitely not wasting time. cleaned and working they will be several hundreds each. As they are they are worth a lot more than scrap value.
cast iron today is £0.14p per kilo, delivered to the scrap yard.

Wadkin and Meddings? The two most wanted brands of solid old machinery!
Have a look at some of Wallace's restoration threads to see what can be done.

Thanks all, part of me kinda hoped you said it was just junk and told me to take it to the scrap yard and forget about it... :D

but now I get to take it home and tinker with it. lol
oh the joy

cheers fellas

Definitely some value but I suspect (just from looking at the pics) that your highest profit will be if you make sure all the parts are they and they are in working order and then sell as-is. Cleaning things up etc is good fun but the time you will spend doing it will likely not be rewarded when it comes to selling them.
Most tools I see for sale are uneconomical to restore unless you are doing it as a hobby so let someone else do the hard graft.

Absolutely ANY old cast iron machinery is always worth doing up. It will always be 10x better than cheap new stuff!

I was hours away from taking it to the scrap yard. I’ll try to make them work and then sell as is for not much more than scrap value. Hopefully it’ll be useful for somebody.
thanks all

Sell as is, people love to fix things up themselves and you’ll still get a huge amount above scrap which will be £20 for the lot at most.

Fixing old machines is a very slippery slope! You may end up hanging up your hand tools to become a machine woodworker 8)

As has been said it isn't financially worth the time unless you are doing it for yourself or going really high end like Wallace does.

For getting the best selling price, it is, however, worth wire crushing the major rust off, and taking pictures that clearly show each component that is there. Include pictures of the motor plates.

The crown guard with stand for the Bursgreen saw, for example, should fetch £50 on its own (in fact I'd pay that!).

Keith

Latest posts

Back