Advice needed on grinder wheel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stiggy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a bit reluctant to ask basic questions like this but even after looking into it - I feel I need reassurance before I spend out!

I have made my own jigs for my grinder for sharpening my chisels and can do all of them now including the 'Ellsworth' grind.

My problem is I don't have much money - I would love nothing more than to buy a microcrystalline blue wheel to use but instead I can only afford a white wheel from Axy.

My questions are;

1 - will a 20mm wheel be wide enough to get a grind on my bowl gouge?
2 - if I get a bush set to 13mm, will it be good enough to fit my 12.7mm spindle on my grinder?

I have the record 6" grinder with the white wheel which is the wide one I find it great for all of my grinds. You may need to rearrange a little using the 20mm wide wheel especially with longer grinds on the tool but it should be OK

One of these will do very well.
Axminster Wide Wheel for AWBGDL Bench Grinder

Code: 400074
£8.96

don't forget a devilstone to keep the wheel sharp. That way it will cut cool instead of rubbing hot.

Stiggy":9xsp95q7 said:
My problem is I don't have much money - I would love nothing more than to buy a microcrystalline blue wheel to use but instead I can only afford a white wheel from Axy.
There isn't a huge difference in price, especially when given how long you'll be using it for.
Axi white £17.96+£1 p&p, at Toolpost ruby wheel is £18.96 blue ceramic £26.86 plus £7.20 p&p although whether they are ten quid better is debatable anyway.
1 - will a 20mm wheel be wide enough to get a grind on my bowl gouge?
Yes shouldn't be a problem. Most turners start with 20mm dry grinders and often never feel the need to change to anything else.

i have a wide white wheel you caan have for postage cost. 30 or 40mm i forget, but can measure tomorrow

I replaced a white wheel with a ruby wheel. In my opinion the ruby wheel is well worth the extra! The difference in how it cuts is significant.

I do love this forum! <3

Thanks for all your help guys, I've PM'd you IHc1vtr+ (wish I knew your name!) and will hopefully give that a go until I can save up a bit more cash and get a ruby wheel.

This sounds ridiculous - worrying about 20 quid or so - but I've just had to take 3 days off work due to illness and wont be paid, so even more boracic than usual!

PLUS I haven't been able to turn a thing for the last two weeks due to an infection in my ear giving me mild vertigo, so I'm really fed up at the minute! :(

So thanks guys - I really appreciate it! :)

Stiggy":y042fgrh said:
but I've just had to take 3 days off work due to illness and wont be paid, so even more boracic than usual!
Sorry to hear that, but only three days ? I'm looking at the best part of three months off from the middle of July, possibly much longer if things don't go well :-(

I got my white wheel from Abtec because it was cheapest at the time. It works well, but the cheap grinder it's on has gone caput so I'm currently selling bits and bobs to pay for a sorby pro edge.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

After looking into it AGAIN and conversing with Peter from Toolpost, I've decided to buy a 6"x1" 80 grit Ruby wheel from him with some 1/2" bushes.

Thanks all for your help and advice as usual!

=D>

Might be worth popping up on their open weekend next week to collect it.
Whilst it's a bit of a trek for you, you'd save the shipping, but more importantly it's a good opportunity to see some great turners at work and explaining what they're doing. I learnt a lot at their last one, but sadly can't make this one.

The grinding wheel and bush is ordered and now all I have to do is go into my shed and weld up my new sharpening system!

:D

Latest posts

Back