Advice for planer thicknesser please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likeakite

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I currently have an Axminster AW106 PT that I'm thinking of selling. I only have a small worksop and I'm finding it hard/heavy to move around (Getting older and have a shoulder injury). I'm looking for something more manageable but with an induction single phase motor and made well, preferably a 10" wide PT but nowhere as heavy as my current one. I've started looking at some YouTube reviews of smaller PT's but they look cheaply made with roaring brush motors. They don't seem to be well constructed either.
I'm looking for advice and recommendations before I part with my AW106 PT.
Many thanks

I would try and find a solution that allows you to keep the AW106. Does it have a wheel kit ?
Hi Roy, yes it does have a wheel kit but it's still a beast to wheel around a very small workshop. Maybe I need to find a better wheel kit.

That's a very fair comment Roy. There doesn't seem to be any mid ground between heavy cast iron professional PT's and cheap aluminium short tabled brush motor things. Unless anyone else knows better. Having trawled the internet this afternoon it looks likely I will keep my Axminster after all.
Thanks for your input :)

Hi Baldkev, thanks for the info. I actually saw those ones on Amazon and was considering a wheel change to see if it's easier to move around. I think I'll try that before selling my PT, worth a go. Thanks

I adapted this design from Peter Parfitt, used the coldene castors he recommends in the video. Mine is the AC250PT and its still pretty heavy to shift but a lot better than when it lived on the Axi mobile base .

I adapted this design from Peter Parfitt, used the coldene castors he recommends in the video. Mine is the AC250PT and its still pretty heavy to shift but a lot better than when it lived on the Axi mobile base .

An expensive but useful alternative to castors could be a pallet truck. They come in all shapes and sizes. £200 could do it

What you need is a better set of wheels or possibly a better floor. Even a very old and frail man can easily move around a machine weighing a few hundred kilos if the wheels are good and the floor flat and smooth. Pushing with your body not with your arms also helps.

I've decided to go for a new rolling base with better wheels in the first instance rather than go for a smaller PT as there doesn't seem to be a decent one

I am sure you will not regret this decision.
My back was very bad for many years and despite this I moved my 1200 kilo planer/thicknesser a couple of times. It is all about proper equipment and a bit of thinking.
If larger wheels isn't enough a simple hand cranked winch mounted on the wall with the wire rope led over pulleys in suitable places ciuld help you move your machine back and forth between the storage postion and the working position.

Back