Advice - cutting circles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Kelly

Reaction score
I need some guidance - for a series of project I need to cut a number of circles, around 12cm diameter. Exact dimension isn't critical - the fact they are all the same diameter is, and they need a good degree of "roundness".

I've been using a hole saw in my drill press, but at the best speed, I can cut about five circles an hour in 10mm ply and it just isn't time-effective!

Any other suggestions? Tools-wise, I have drill press, jigsaw, contractor / site saw and router (no circle cutting jig for the router).

Suggestions gratefully received, before I lose the will to live...

M

Spot on Jason, have used that type for making 6 ft. tables for a restaurant.
Have also used a bandsaw. Clamp a board on the right hand side of the table with a pin sticking out of the board6mm from the blade and fractionally forward of the leading edge. Cut squares of material you are making rounds with into 12mm by 12mm(this all assuming you can have a small hole on one side of rounds) find centre of squares drill half holes.
Place centres onto pin, turn on bandsaw and turn wood, not perfect but pretty good and unless you have extract on your router and a good hold down less dusty and easier to handle,

Good luck

Dom

Mitch,

may I suggest the following:

yes get/make the template for the router but I would suggest that you cut out the "rounds" in the rough with the jigsaw first (cut within a mm or two) -then use the router. It requires a little marking up and you may find benefits in two ways, namely: there is less material for the router tips to remove and also it is less wear on the router tip.

I hope I am clear on this. Only one way to find out I'm afraid. Also you could cut out several "blanks" with the jigsaw at a time.

Cheers.

how about using the trend floor cutting kit which is designed to make removeable pieces in your floor for checking pipes etc???

paul :wink:

Quoting Paul: "how about using the trend floor cutting kit which is designed to make removeable pieces in your floor for checking pipes etc??? "

Aaarghh! That costs money! I greatly prefer the idea of a jig made up from scrap MDF (not that it isn't a great idea, though!) - I wasn't born in Yorkshire but since I've lived here I've Gone Native!

The bit about jiggying them to rough size and shape is a good point too, and one I'll keep in mind.

Thanks for the advice, all. Toy pony-traps, here we come.

M

Acttualy you should be looking at your existing hole saw, if it takes 12mins to cut a hole that I can do with a tank cutter in a cordless drill in less than 60secs then it may well be BLUNT :wink:

Jason

In reply:
"ah so why did you not say "i am a cheap skate and want to find the lowest cost way" "

I didn't realise I needed to! I thought it went without saying that cheap is good, cheaper is better and cheapest is best :D This isn't one of those places where people don't scruple about spending money, is it? And actually BUY kit to make things? Hell. I'm deserting back to some of the metalworking fora, where making everything out of nothing is the height of cachet :wink:

and

"Acttualy you should be looking at your existing hole saw, ..... it may well be BLUNT"

Could be, could be. But for the frequency I use a 5" hole saw for REAL jobs, it doesn't justify a new one - see above!

Thanks again.

when you see with what respect engineers are treated on this forum, :twisted: :roll: i think you are being optomistic.

here people like me buy lv and ln products :lol:

paul :wink:

Mitch,

To make 'wheels' (for toys) I cut out circles on bandsaw (substitute jigsaw). To true up to perfect round I use one of these in drill press.

Slight refinement is to clamp a bit of MDF with centreing pin on drill table. Also counterbore (or jigsaw a hole) the board so that sanding drum is recessed a bit.

All low-tech but effective and as we like it - cheap.

cheers,

Ike

Latest posts

Back