Cutting circles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forty years ago, I bought a pack of 12 spiral blades and I still have them, I have never broken one simply because when I tried them I went back to 'proper' blades after a few minutes. :)

Oh??? Can you expand on that advice please? especially with WHY you would use a spiral cut blade.
Well the jig makes the wood go in 1 direction, but that is mostly not the direction the normal blade was made for.
The spiral blade goes wherever you want, so if using a jig it follows that direction.

Forgive me if i am not clear but i am a Dutchie with lack of English lessons at school..

Well the jig makes the wood go in 1 direction, but that is mostly not the direction the normal blade was made for.
The spiral blade goes wherever you want, so if using a jig it follows that direction.

Forgive me if i am not clear but i am a Dutchie with lack of English lessons at school..

I think your Dutch is better than mine, like most "cloggies" (or "dutchies") I know. If I've understood you correctly, I think you're wrong, sorry. All "normal" blades are designed to cut at a nominal 90 degrees to the cut line (as member scrimper points out above, the actual angle will be a bit smaller/larger, due to the way the blades are made - most of them anyway). But by its very nature, a spiral cut blade will cut at ALL angles to the cut line, surely? So I don't get your point, sorry.

@AES Cheers, when I found a dozen for just £6 with free next day delivery, I couldn't resist pushing the button, especially to experiment further with the circle jig.

I will hopefully settle this circle jig argument by tomorrow night, so it should be well worth all the expense🤞.

Never flown Air Canada, my local is East Midlands Airport, UK about 20 miles away.

If I find that big bag of money I'll charter a private jet. Air Canada is not what it once was and for me they are a last resort airline.

Pete

If I've understood you correctly, I think you're wrong, sorry.
What i mean is that straight blades have theyr own angle.. different brands make a different cut. That is becouse of how the blades are made. I have found out that only Pegas cuts straight forward with no angle ( Here in Holland there is not much choise in brands.. ) Other brands cut at a 10 degree angle or so.
So the jig must be placed exactly the way that your scrollsaw really cuts.. end there is the problem.
A spiral blade will cut to whereever the jig wants it to cut. The jig makes the direction, not the blade. And in that condition a jig will work great.

All in my opinion ofcourse

If I find that big bag of money I'll charter a private jet. Air Canada is not what it once was and for me they are a last resort airline.

Pete

Sorry to hear that Pete. Seriously, they were once a V good airline to fly with. But I did stop international travel back in 2014, so am hardly up to date.

The spiral blade with the circle jig cuts a perfect circle and was very easy to do 🙂. I'm really pleased with that result.

Attachments

• 20220909_205152.jpg
    20220909_205152.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220909_205252.jpg
    20220909_205252.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220909_205302.jpg
    20220909_205302.jpg
  • 20220909_205835.jpg
    20220909_205835.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220909_210419.jpg
    20220909_210419.jpg
  • 20220909_210434.jpg
    20220909_210434.jpg
I'm enjoying using the spiral blade. With the normal blade, I feel like I'm constantly fighting against where it actually wants to go, and it often catches me off guard. With the spiral blade, it actually goes exactly where I tell it to. Just need a bit more practice. That leaf above was my first freehand effort with the spiral blade.

That is the bad part of most blades. And the reason why i use Pegas blades.. The manufactoring is different from others.
Straight blades are unbeatable with straight cuts als dont wearout that much as spiral blades.And in spiral blades there are no reverse tooth blades as far as i know.

"Well, I'll go to the bottom of my ole lady's stairs!".

Seriously, well done Peter (and Rene). I've learnt something new, which is always good. Having spent ages trying to explain why it won't work in theory (I've never tried a jig, "'cos it won't work will it?") you've shown that in practice that it DOES work. As said, good for you fellas.

That's the nice thing about this Forum (sharing info).

@Inspector. I withdraw my offer of freebie spiral blades! (Not that I have a use for them).

BTW, +1 for Pegas blades from here.

@Peter907: I believe that Axminster Tools are the UK stockist for Pegas blades. (I buy mine in Germany, because they're cheaper there than here in Switzerland, where they're made).

The spiral blade with the circle jig cuts a perfect circle and was very easy to do 🙂. I'm really pleased with that result.
Thanks for the keeping us all up to date. It's always good, and often surprising, when a proposed solution actually works!
As others have suggested you have embraced the 'darkness' and there is no way back. :)

Good post :)(y)
I ordered blades from Ax which unfortunately took 3 months the get here (our postal dis-service).
I included spiral, skip tooth, normal.
Will try them out in a couple of weeks, other projects to finish off.
Don't want to high-jack the thread, but these were cut on the large Hegner with a #12 blade and then some smaller internal cuts on the small Hegner #3 blade.
http://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4352

Back