Semi-circular stave ends

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonw1664

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm being thick - no comments necessary! I am trying to build some new gates to match a number of existing ones. The main "Face" of the gates is a series of staves that are approximately 45mm wide, 25mm tick and range around a metre or so long. Each stave is finsihed with a neat semicircular rounded end. I am struggling to find a quick and accurate way orf reproducing this, I was thinking of a bearing guided router cutter but that means having exactly the right diameter curve to follow (I am committed to the size of the staves already) I can cut a circle that is almost the right size with a hole saw but how can i fix it firmly to the stave without blocking the router?
I cannot believe that someone out there hasn't already invented this particular wheel already..................
All suggestions gratefully received
PS I need to cut about 50 of them hence the desire for quick and accurate repeatability
Thanks

You need a template made from 45 mm wide x 200mm long approx - mdf or ply. You can make the radiused bit from the holesaw and superglue it on or just draw a compass line and sand back to the pencil mark. Secure it to your stave and use a top bearing mounted cutter to machine the radius. Double sided tape will hold it in place but it is a bit tedious to have to lever it off the template every time. I tend to use a few very short panel pins as they come off easily leaving only two tiny marks.

Back