Wedged through tenons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I will, and do, ha, ha. They're also strong

You'll never come across through tenons with foxtail wedges because there's no such thing. The fox wedged tenon relies on there being a stopped or blind mortice the bottom of which is what drives the wedges into place.

I've seen people put images up on the internet of through M&Ts with wedges that they described as fox wedged M&Ts, but those people were obviously know-nothings when it came to joinery, so any further 'information' they might decide to share with their eager audience about woodworking is well worth ignoring. Slainte.
Absolutely correct at 81yrs and still working that's the way i was always taught as a apprentice and also at technical college

I use either blind fox tailed M&T's or wedged through tenons for some of my speaker feet. If using the through wedge M&T I always drill a relief hole. It doesn't have to very big, 5 or 6mm is fine. Whether a joint splits through the tenon is down tho individual grain, how much stress is applied, the fit of the tenon and the length and angle of the wedge. I started using stress relief holes after having one leg split on me where tenon fit wasn't snug enough to begin with and the wedge induced a split in the leg as it was being driven in so my own fault and normally would have been unlikely to occur. However adding the hole imho does reduce the risk of a split and can reduce stress on the timber being flexed. My mortices are cut slightly splayed so the wedge forms a dovetailed mortice when driven home. I don't fret over precision wedges, just cut them from scrap, make them slightly shorter than the tenon and the width slightly greater than the sum of the dovetailed mortice width at the end of the through joint and glue, then tap them into place and flush cut when dry. Makes for an extremely strong joint. Fox tail wedging isn't something you see much these days but from what I remember was always the best way to make blind M&T's, just don't attempt to dry fit test before gluing up or you'll not get them out!

Here is the finished sawbench with the wedged through tenons and removable fence (I am left handed). It was made using only hand tools.

IMG_0568.jpg
IMG_0570.jpg
IMG_0574.jpg
IMG_0580.jpg
IMG_0585.jpg
IMG_0593.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back