Cutting circles on a bandsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve successfully cut circles on the bandsaw.
I cut the workpiece to the approximate shape freehand then clamped a false table over the machine table with a screw just protruding through at the appropriate radius to act as a pivot. (The pivot needs to be in line with the front of the blade.)
Because I cut the workpiece to the approximate size I had enough space to use regular clamps to hold the false table.

The reason the guy in the first video has to go round twice and ends up with a second small sliver of wood is he has not correctly aligned the pin. He has his jig set up so that the OD face of the pin is in line with the front cutting edge of the blade instead of the centre of the pin itself. This leads to a slightly oval cut as the piece is rotated and causes a slight spiral as he turns the piece while being cut. With his method you will always have slightly undersized finished parts

The reason the guy in the first video has to go round twice and ends up with a second small sliver of wood is he has not correctly aligned the pin. He has his jig set up so that the OD face of the pin is in line with the front cutting edge of the blade instead of the centre of the pin itself. This leads to a slightly oval cut as the piece is rotated and causes a slight spiral as he turns the piece while being cut. With his method you will always have slightly undersized finished parts
Subtle @Droogs !
I've chickened out. Making a 16" lazy susan, and left it square!
I may 'round it out' later. This guys design is the one I fancy

very nice, once again alignment is key though. I would, If I did a lot of curcle cutting on the bandsaw drill a locating hole in my mitre slot for a pin fitted to the jig to pop into to ensure alignment

Provided the distance between the pivot and blade doesn’t change, your radius is fixed and you should cut a circle.
I think the main issue if the pin isn’t in line with the blade teeth, is you are forcing the blade to twist which will put unnecessary stress on it and in the extreme break it.

I did my 18" lasy Susan on my lathe. That makes it round :rolleyes:

Oh, nearly forgot to say that I also turned all 36 of the ⅝" balls on the lathe too, good fun :oops:
Oddly, I (guessed) thought a square top to a lazy susan would be more useful... commercial bearings Jon ;-)

You are going to end up with a rough cut on the bandsaw which will need sanding. I cut the circle freehand on the bandsaw allowing about 4mm extra and then use a jig on the disc sander to finish. Amazingly accurate and you end up with a finished edge. :giggle:

Back