Adjustable In/outfeed table: Concept

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I was ordering some bit from screwfix and added a cheap (£5) scissor jack to make it up to the free postage. I have been thinking for some time about an adjustable in/outfeed table that can be controlled via a crank system rather than relying on manually getting it at the right height.

This is what I have come up with so far. I know the drawing is very rough. I just wondered what the forum thought of the concept. The scissor lift goes in the middle of the top box and when the right height is found the knobs are locked off. The top could have replaceable heads for rollers, etc.

scissor-table.jpg

It's all very conceptual atm, I wont have a chance to build it for a couple of months.

Cant see why it shouldnt work, Wizer IIRC Danny Proulx did something similar with a workbench cum assembly table in one of his books....low setting for assembly and high for worbench, i believe he also used a scissor jack.

HTH

yes I see your point Fecn, it would be nice to have a quick adjustment on the scissor jack. I like niki's design but I was trying to find something that doesn't 'waste' too much space.

Wizer, I've been looking at something similar but with an old bottle jack. I've since wondered if I could use it to raise or lower my drill press keeping the table at a set hight and moving the drill up and down.

do bottle/trolley jacks have a quick release function? At least it will be quick to reset it

Hello there fellas,

I have also been wondering whether a scissor lift / bottle jack could be a useful mechanism to have in the space saving workshop.

I saved this link sometime ago;

http://www.liftruck.co.uk/scissor-table ... -ergo.html

I thought about using a table like this to lower or raise tools from beneath my bench. (Not on wheels, but fixed). I could have a removable insert in the top of the bench and then raise the tool from underneath.

This idea would keep tools off my bench and out of the way when not in use.

I particularly wanted to do this with my baby drill press and chop saw trouble is I couldn't find a suitable jack with enough reach for a reasonable cost. The bigger the reach / extension it seems the heavier and more costly they become.

If one of you clever chaps can come up with an idea I would be interested to see the solution.

Cheers, Tony.

We use those hydraulic trolleys at work, they aren't easy to fine adjust in either direction. This is the one you need:

ergo-lt30-man.jpg

Much like niki's design

going along with Escudo`s idea and Wizer`s rolley windy widget, couldnt you mount the adjustment screw at the bottom and use and crown wheel/worm gear and have it adjustable from the top of the workbench...much the same as the height adjustment on the more flashier router tables (Routalift, raizarouter etc) ??

going further you could use bicycle chainsets and have your tool tabletop in just a few turns..

Hi WIZeR

Even though it's 23:30 here, I went down to the garage and took out my "still in the box" scissors jack and checked...

At the "fully retracted" (down) position, every one turn gave me 4~5 mm height increment and it went down to 2mm per turn at mid height of the jack and even less near the full height.

I could adjust the height by 0.1 mm (measured with caliper) without any problem.

I think that your idea can work but maybe you shall have to bolt down the jack base and bolt some wider board at the top end of the jack.

I would also make some rail for more stabilizes up/down movement and lock it with two bolts/knobs on each side.

In general, I think that your idea can work good

Regards
niki

Shultzy":1s9wntiw said:
Wizer, I've been looking at something similar but with an old bottle jack. I've since wondered if I could use it to raise or lower my drill press keeping the table at a set hight and moving the drill up and down.

My cheapo drill press doesn't have an adjustable table or depth stop, just a clamp to hold it on the pillar. I use an old scissor jack under the table to give me a degree of adjustability. It works pretty well but I have to take it out if I want the table all the way down (not very often).

I think that the "Scissor Jack" is the better idea.
If you use a "Hydraulic Jack" and go over the height you want, then you're messing about releasing the pressure and lifting again trying to get the correct height.
With the "Scissor Jack" it's just a simple matter of a quick hand adjustment either way.

Chris.

I like this idea. The scissor jack sounds like a great solution, even without a quick release function.

It sounds a lot easier than trying to balance a straight edge of the machine's table/bed while using one hand to raise/lower the support table and the other hand to tighten the knob - without losing the setting you're trying to make or knocking the balanced straight edge on to its wider face!

I'm sure most of us have been there! :D

OPJ":3gtnp3oc said:
It sounds a lot easier than trying to balance a straight edge of the machine's table/bed while using one hand to raise/lower the support table and the other hand to tighten the knob - without losing the setting you're trying to make or knocking the balanced straight edge on to its wider face!

I'm sure most of us have been there! :D

spot on mate!

yes that is basically a scissor jack with a roller ontop, 3 times the price of my scissor jack. It still needs to be mounted on something. A good quick solution to the above problem. Not sure if the roller can be removed.

Latest posts

Back