Adjstable foot stool.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Willis.

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics. of an adjustable foot stool that has been very popular and that I have been selling on and off for about ten years.
3466068396_b4c676b406.jpg

3465255429_668a5168ac.jpg

3465257233_84b375151f.jpg

3465259135_ce9ab585ac.jpg

Derek.

Very smart mechanism, though where do you get such lovely fabric from? Do you have to rummage through the bins of care homes?

Aidan

That is a really great idea Derek. I am not surprised they sell well. What foam do you use under the fabric, Dense or soft? Looks like it it is very comfortable too. How rugged is the mechanism?

Very good Derek!

It looks easy to put up..........but is it a bit more of a chore to fold down? It looks like you'd need three hands!

Excellent...

Mike

Brilliant!
SWMBO said it would be perfect for the new sofas.

2 questions

1. Is it easy to adjust downwards or is a third hand required?
2. Do you have plans and if no free, what price are they please?

(my messages always appear so stilted - sorry for that.)

Regards
Brit

Hello guys,
Fabric is whatever I can scrounge from friends and neighbours who do curtains etc, I have quite a lot of different pieces.
It is very easy to put up and down and you don't need an extra hand, just make the pivot stiff enough to hold in place.
I get the foam, which is dense furniture foam from a local upholsterer.
Plans I do not have, I did have a c/d with WIP pics and a full construction write-up, I think I sent it to a magazine and didn't keep a copy. I put this onto Router Workshops also and have been asked for plans, I said I would write a construction description today, and I can post it here also if you wish.
Derek.

I have just looked back at the pics, I can see why you ask if three hands are needed, in this particular model I seem to have left off the horizontal tie bar or stretcher from the deck chair legs, this helps to hold the legs as a pair, sorry about that.
Derek

Breif instructions fo adjustable stool
Derek.
Adjustable foot stool.

Three frames of 400mm. by 500mm. finished size, made of ex. 50mm. x 25mm.
I Cut to finished size and used the Band saw to make the through mortise and tenon joints, glue these together.
Rout a rebate on the hanging sides of each frame to take the Piano Hinge, countersink the holes in the hinges.
Cut four 75mm. triangular blocks of timber to support the castors, glue and screw on the corners at the bottom of one frame to be the base.
The legs and the leg supports are of the same timber but the width is reduced to 30mm. Each one must be just under half the length of the stool.
Cut 3 notches into the fixed supports, keeping the vertical cut angled to support the leg. Either fix with glue and biscuits or screws to the sides where shown, making sure that the teeth are pointing towards the hinge end each time.
Cut the legs to size and put the taper on the end, then using a half-lap joint fit a ledger bar across to hold the legs in position, (missing on the one shown, sorry), Using screw cups or screw cup washers with Brass screws as pivots screw onto the frame.
Now is the time to fit the piano hinge with C/S. screws.
Fix your castors in place.
Cut a 9mm. thick piece of M.D.F. to fit the top, get a piece of dense foam cut to size, (cuts well on the Band saw, or use an electric carving knife), stick to the board with spray adhesive or similar, and wrap your upholstery material around, folding in the corners, staple into place.
Turn your stool over and drill and countersink the frame and fix the board.
In the pictures the one shown is just made from deal, but most of those I have produced have been in Oak, Iroko and mahogany types, stain if wanted and polish, Danish Oil, Plastic Coating, or just seal and wax.

Latest posts

Back