Adhesive

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Epoxy will work of course and is brilliant but I would seriously consider CA because if the brand is good quality, it's amazing stuff and much simpler to work with than any 2 part system. I went to a woodworking show in Kent years ago (Detling) and there was a guy there selling a CA brand I'd never heard of. Part of his demo was to take a vehicle rubber fan belt and cut it in half, he then puts a dab of the ca on the cut end and holds the other cut end on it for 10 seconds. Then he asked me to try and pull it off with him holding the other end and I'm not kidding, he literally leaned his entire body weight on the now bonded split. It was incredible! He then glued a steel nut onto a piece of ply and gave me a screwdriver to try and pry it off (again after 10 seconds). I couldn't do it without destroying the wood. Needless to say I bought some and it's been the most useful glue I've ever owned.

His sales pitch went along the lines that the retail brands are diluted in strength for public health and safety reasons whereas the industrial strength brands are far superior. I've no idea whether that was a load of salesman codswallop or not but I still use his glue now and it is wonderful stuff.

So my personal experience is to try CA as long as it's decent quality and see if it works before moving onto 2 part systems (which we know will work but are more expensive and more time consuming to prepare).

Hi Richy,I have only ever used C A glue with no ill efect.

Hi Bob,I meet the same guy at a show a few years ago and got 3 bottles now all gone.I would like to get some more but woodworking shows up here are a thing of the past.Do you have any contact info for this company????

Peter.

Random Orbital Bob":1dapan8o said:
That's the stuff...powerbond 806 :) You wont regret it.
You obviously have historic experience ROB so maybe you can tell us what I can't find on the PowerBond web-site.

What is the shelf-life ? both for opened and re-sealed bottles and for unopened bottles?

I have a number of products (adhesives/fillers/finishes) on my shelves which still have 90-95% unused but they have 'gone off'. Even though I take great care to re-seal as soon as possible.

Since I am not working commercially I often don't need to use some products for 3, 6 or even 12 months and it is quite annoying to find that a product costing over £20 a kilo has 'gone off' when you've only used 2 pen'rth!

I site particularly - Brummer Stopping, Colron Wood Filler and Titebond Premium 'Instant Bond' CA - just three items I've taken form my shelf which are useless but are 98%, 99% and 80% respectively unused. (Yes they are still on my shelf - I can't bring myself to bin them - they remind me not to buy again! (hammer) )

PowerBond might have addressed this issue by integrating a stainless steel pin in the cap to seal the container but if the basic shelf-life of the un-opened bottle is only 6 months, there is little point in buying 3 bottles when one 10ml bottle could well last me 12 months. :)

It's odd to see that the general PowerBond web-site does not show any reference to their 806 product. It is only shown on it's own site which has no link to the general site nor any real contact information - just a sales medium.

J-G":24ymip7t said:
Random Orbital Bob":24ymip7t said:
You obviously have historic experience ROB so maybe you can tell us what I can't find on the PowerBond web-site.

What is the shelf-life ? both for opened and re-sealed bottles and for unopened bottles?

I have a number of products (adhesives/fillers/finishes) on my shelves which still have 90-95% unused but they have 'gone off'. Even though I take great care to re-seal as soon as possible.

Since I am not working commercially I often don't need to use some products for 3, 6 or even 12 months and it is quite annoying to find that a product costing over £20 a kilo has 'gone off' when you've only used 2 pen'rth!

I site particularly - Brummer Stopping, Colron Wood Filler and Titebond Premium 'Instant Bond' CA - just three items I've taken form my shelf which are useless but are 98%, 99% and 80% respectively unused. (Yes they are still on my shelf - I can't bring myself to bin them - they remind me not to buy again! (hammer) )

PowerBond might have addressed this issue by integrating a stainless steel pin in the cap to seal the container but if the basic shelf-life of the un-opened bottle is only 6 months, there is little point in buying 3 bottles when one 10ml bottle could well last me 12 months. :)

It's odd to see that the general PowerBond web-site does not show any reference to their 806 product. It is only shown on it's own site which has no link to the general site nor any real contact information - just a sales medium.
Not sure but I went onto their site and found THIS and also somewhere you could ask questions

J-G":pheav6e8 said:
Random Orbital Bob":pheav6e8 said:

Acetone will give your brummers a new lease of life. Pour some in the tin, have a small stick and start squishing/mixing it all together.

Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":cjvga8jm said:
J-G":cjvga8jm said:
I site particularly - Brummer Stopping
Acetone will give your brummers a new lease of life. Pour some in the tin, have a small stick and start squishing/mixing it all together.
Coley
Thanks Coley - I have actually tried both meths and White Spirit without success but not Acetone. Since I've never had the need to remove nail polish I've never bought Acetone :lol:

Sorry guys, I've only just seen this, not ignoring you I promise!

Well, I bought 3 bottles of Powerbond plus the fast set spray and some "get it off your fingers" releasing agent all for a tenner from the Detling show in Feb 2014. Here we are 3 years later and its all still good. It's been in my garage during all that time which very rarely reaches below 4 degrees C but it's as good now as it was when I bought it. I'm close to running out in fact because I only ever use it for tip top jobs. For anything run of the mill I use cheap rubbish but if it's best crockery or some such I'll reach for the powerbond.

The lids are well designed to keep it free running but I've no idea if it's formulation is superior to other brands in terms of it's longevity. I just know it's still viable 3 years after I bought it and it's the fastest acting, while being excellent quality glue I've ever come across. Where it really scores is in jig making. You've cut some components and they're fiddly or awkward to clamp while you nail or screw them. A dot of 806 and 10 seconds later you can let go of the parts and fix at your leisure because they're not coming apart. If you want metal parts embedded in wood like threads or the like....again I reach for the 806. I will be buying some more soon because as I said I'm close to running out.

It's one of those products that always stood out in my experience as being way better than my expectation and it's honestly never let me down. Obviously no commercial connection to the company etc....

Hi
the man who sells the powerbond ca glue at the shows recommends to keep it in the fridge, and just like Bob I have bottles that are still ok 2/3 years later. The only ones that I have,that have gone off/ thick are the ones I've left out in the open
Regards David

Random Orbital Bob":36p39csb said:
Sorry guys, I've only just seen this, not ignoring you I promise!
An hour and one minute response time is hardly cause for apology ROB :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your affirmation - I sent a question to PowerBond last night via their 'Contact Us' page but as yet have had no response. Notwithstanding that, I'll place an order this afternoon.

Hi Richy,where did you find 3 bottles for £10??The web site has 20gm. bottles for £9.99 or 2 for £19.98 +1 extra bottle free + the debonder.

HI Bob,It was in 2013 that I last bought it ,that was the last woodworking show that we had in Central Scotland .

Peter.

beganasatree":1q76q3to said:
Hi Richy,where did you find 3 bottles for £10??The web site has 20gm. bottles for £9.99 or 2 for £19.98 +1 extra bottle free + the debonder.

HI Bob,It was in 2013 that I last bought it ,that was the last woodworking show that we had in Central Scotland .

Peter.
I've no idea where you are looking --- the 3 10g for £10 is at http://www.powerbondglue.com/buy-now.php as is 3 20g for £20 with 20ml remover.

What did seem 'odd' when I placed my order was that the PayPal payment went to a gmail address linked to powerbondglue.com, when I would have expected a powerbond.co.uk address. I'm now wondering if PowerBond 806 has anything at all to do with PowerBond Adhesives.

Back