Construction adhesive?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hsmith192

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question, I’m attaching timber studs to a concrete wall. What grab adhesive would you use?

Thanks so much and have a great Christmas everyone 👍

There's a fantastic product available called no more glue.

Attachments

• screw.jpg
    screw.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 0
There's a fantastic product available called no more glue.
Only issue is… the concrete is really thin and about 30mm thick? I’ve tried some small raw plugs to help but it is really thin.

Sounds like it's a Sectional Concrete garage......I think they are made up from approximately 30mm thick/ thin sections?
A bit like this perhaps....?

Concrete-Sectional-Garage-28.jpg

You just need globs on the studs like where you would usually nail it . Like when they do drywall these days and hang with very few screws and use glue instead.
maybe a product in this category.

Attachments

• 9657E630-E3D5-4E04-A04E-4225A682B23F.png
    9657E630-E3D5-4E04-A04E-4225A682B23F.png
    685.5 KB · Views: 0
So lets call 30mm about 1.2 inches don't stand near it on a windy day
A photo or a few more details would help give replies.
A galvanised nut and bolt through the wall and the stud which is how thick? will secure

Hi- here’s the picture- it has 30mm sections and larger “posts” either way I’ll look to use some adhesive for the internal stud work.

Attachments

• AD8A4251-1D19-4ECD-998A-15B15FDE7678.jpeg
    AD8A4251-1D19-4ECD-998A-15B15FDE7678.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • EE9A0D79-1161-419F-BC16-352AED59A176.jpeg
    EE9A0D79-1161-419F-BC16-352AED59A176.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
Any of the no nails type product that is NOT water based would do the job, but you would somehow need to brace the timber in place whilst the glue goes off.

Colin

Probably not what you want to hear but I would be drilling through it and bolt from the otherside using coach screws or similar, chuck in some silicone before you nip it right up. Whilst there decent I would never trust any glue to stick battens onto a wall.

Adidat

I would use 3m 5200
Sikaflex or
Ebt
strong enough to pull the concrete / wood apart

If you use thicker timber say 3" secured to a base plate why cain't you screw them to the ceiling joists / rafters??

Many years ago I had one of these garages, I converted as a workshop. These are "sectional buildings" and each section has thicker reinforced edges, think picture frames. I built a framework fitted at the top of the wall and into the concrete floor. I then insulated between the frames. Then clad the framework. I also put a floating floor on polystyrene insulation. Served me well for many years. There is no need to fix from outside. Insulated the ceiling too.

I had one of these garages a few years back. For attaching things to the wall, we used angle iron bolted through. However, if you wish to avoid that, I'd use the gripfill original. And maybe bolt a base plate to the floor, and screw the header onto the roof rafters for additional strength?

Just a quick question, I’m attaching timber studs to a concrete wall. What grab adhesive would you use?

Thanks so much and have a great Christmas everyone 👍
20 years ago we built an office extension in the exact same scenario and used, then new to the world, thixotropic Foaming PU glue from a sealant gun. My son demolished it last year and the surface of the concrete came away FROM THE CONNCRETE still attached to the wood.
We rendered the whole build and that was it.
As an experiment before deciding to do it we put a squirt of PU on a concrete block and then gently laid a 100mm square block of wood on top. 25 hours later we couldn't lever it off and resorted to a sledge hammer....... Same result!

Just sayin'

I'm not sure any product is 100% here. But some insulation boards have paper back for sticking. If it must be timber you stick then either hybrid silicone or pu.

Latest posts

Back