Adding 45 degree chamfer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilson joinery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

As the title suggests, how do you add a small (approx 3mm) chamfer to mdf boards. I use a chamfer cutter in my 1/4 router but I’ve seen some use a block plane. What method do you use? How do you maintain the 45 degree angle if using a plane? With some sort of jig? Or just plenty of practice!!

Cheers
Pete

I'm not so sure how it works with MDF, but I guess you need a very sharp plane to get a good finish. I use a smoother and then touch it up with a block plane depending on how large the chamfer is. For really big ones of a couple of inches, the electric planer comes out of its box.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to give guidance on how to go about sharpening your plane.

Enjoy!

you can use hand tools with MDF but you need a very sharp blade and it blunts blades very fast so be warned you'll be re-sharpening every 5 minutes.

Hi everyone

As the title suggests, how do you add a small (approx 3mm) chamfer to mdf boards. I use a chamfer cutter in my 1/4 router but I’ve seen some use a block plane. What method do you use? How do you maintain the 45 degree angle if using a plane? With some sort of jig? Or just plenty of practice!!

Cheers
Pete
I would generally use a router, but sometimes for the odd small bit I'd use the block plane. After a bit of experience you learn to judge the angles, but at 3mm chamfer, it's not all that noticeable if you were at 35° 🙃

I would go for a combination of router (a bit shy of the finished size) and then block plane to take the final pass, as the router will give the 45 degree guide.

Hi everyone

Cheers
Pete
Yes, block plane and practice. Have a go on some offcuts it's a very easy thing to do. Just the sort of finishing-off planing that the block plane is most used for.

My go-to for MDF edges is a roundover/ovolo bit rather than a chamfer due to the former being more resistant to knocks etc and also allows a better edge to accept a painted finish. Personally I find that using a block plane difficult to achieve and even and consistent width especially over larger lengths, most likely due to my poor technique, and as Adam mentions working to a line might be a solution.
I use a Wealden T1325 and find it gives a superb finished edge to MDF boxes and also a nice to-the-touch edge to door stiles
/Ed

I agree with imageel.
In our workshop we had a small radius router cutter (which we referred to as a "baby roundover") permanently set up in a cheap router, which meant no setting up to carry out just this function.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone, turns out there is more than one way to skin a cat!

Cheers
Pete
Well yes - but if it's just a few odds and ends the block plane is easiest and fastest. 3mm just 3 or 4 fast passes and job done in seconds.

Back