Adapting keyless chuck?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherw

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening everybody,

I've just bought a load of drills because we had 3 drill disasters in a week, and I was wondering whether it would be possible to put a keyless chuck from a broken Makita 8391 DWPE 18v cordless drill onto a Dewalt corded drill DWD014K. Or do cordless drills have different chucks from corded drills?

And if not, why? I like to know these things.....

Thanks.

Heather

Be aware of reverse threads if chucks are screwed through the back to the main assembly. I know the chucks I have bought for SDS adapters have a reverse thread in the screw that assembles them, so when you feel you're undoing, you're actually tightening. Not sure if that's going to be the same in your case. Just a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most chucks will have a female thread of 1/2"x20 or 3/8"x24 - it's easy to tell them apart, there should be a reverse thread locking screw inside the chuck glued in with loctite or similar. Once this is removed then a spanner or allen key isused to unscrew the chuck.
The only problem could be the cordless drills tend to have a single sleeve chuck and a spindle lock in the gearbox, very few mains drills have a spindle lock and use a two sleeve chuck which is closed by rotating one sleeve against the other
Matt

Aha, i was wondering about that, it's so long since i saw a normal keyless chuck that I can't remember what they look like. Maybe I'll leave it as it is, then. Seems a shame not to butcher the broken Makita for some of its parts, though.

heatherw":5f42hxt1 said:
Aha, i was wondering about that, it's so long since i saw a normal keyless chuck that I can't remember what they look like. Maybe I'll leave it as it is, then. Seems a shame not to butcher the broken Makita for some of its parts, though.

nothing stopping you from disassembling the makita to get at the chuck and bearing. I took the chuck from an old drill and use that inside the chuck of my drillpress to hold bits smaller than 2mm as the drillpress only goes down to 2mm but the old drill chuck goes to 0mm.

and if you're a handy gal that makes jig n stuff, there's a heap of handy things you can do with an old drill chuck and bearing and parts.

Back