Adams Workshop Build Thread.... got walls & a roof!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adam - just a quick question. I was going to copy your modular building technique for the walls, as a move may be in the future. Are you going to ply line after fixing or before. I was going to line, insulate and board all in one, but then was unsure of the fixings to use to get secure joints. Ideas welcome!

Shultzy":3sqnxxdd said:
Adam, another question about the felt. I was hoping to put 4" x 5/8" t&g on the roof and I was wondering if its suitable to go under the "easy seal" as any shrinkage might compromise the felt? Couldn't find any info on the wickes site.

Hmm, dunno, I don't see why it shouldn't stretch. Its not like traditional fabric based underfelt, so I feel, (but don't hold me to it :shock: ), that it would be OK.

Freetochat":1vj2zf7p said:
Adam - just a quick question. I was going to copy your modular building technique for the walls, as a move may be in the future. Are you going to ply line after fixing or before. I was going to line, insulate and board all in one, but then was unsure of the fixings to use to get secure joints. Ideas welcome!

That was my original plan, but unfortunately, I didn't work sufficiently fast enough, and my team who came to help with the "barn raising" arrived before I'd got the insulation in. As a result, I drilled the pilot holes for the screws at 45 degrees from the edge of the frames, so that they don't interfere with the insulation. Then I'll board over afterwards. When I dissassemble, I'll have to take off the internal boards, to access the screws, but won't need to remove the insulation.

I used lots of 100mm, and 150mm screws from screwfix, predrilled pilot holes at angles between each frame. I think that would be fine. The obvious alternative would be to use bolts, but you will have realised the problem with this is that you have to remove all your insulation and the boards first. I was keen for all fixings to be "exposed" so disassembly was as easy as possible.

Adam

Back