Adams Workshop Build Thread.... got walls & a roof!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inspirational stuff Adam, thanks for sharing.

Those baby monitors are a boon. I have a two pairs that plug direct into the mains. 1st pair listens to the kids bedroom with the receiver in the hall downstairs, the other set listens to the 1st receiver in the hall and also picks up the telephone & front door with the 2nd receiver in the workshop. All works OK unless the blighters start fiddling with the channel selector.

Andy

OK, spurred on by Byrons accurate pricing, I thought I'd do a quick divvy up on costs.

The trencher was double what I thought when I checked previously. Total price for the day was £220 inc VAT, delivery and damage waiver. Still, worth every penny to me. It weighs about 550kg, and my trailer has a weight limit of 500Kg. The towing limit for the car is only 600Kg, and the trailer weighs over 100Kg. No doubt it probably would have taken it, but I decided to pay the delivery fee. Having seen how unmanvoerable it was, this was the right decision!

The basic price is £140+VAT, so I paid a good deal for delivery + insurance, but I felt it was worth it for peace of mind.

Next stage was to drop some cables in the trench. As mentioned, I added some network cables (for phone, internet + burglar alarm) to my armoured cable.

I bought 60m of 6mm 3-Core Armoured cable which cost 109+VAT. Again, this could be reduced by using only 2-core and using the armour as earth, but I feel its safer to have the additional core in parallel on the earth.

The network cables, again I bought more than needed (100meters) in each case, but its quite ecomonic to buy it "standard" lengths.

Total price, £177 inc VAT

Next up, the concrete base. This was a bit of a luxury, as its major overkill. However, their is some logic behind it. I've got a bad back, so it was not possible to spend a long time smashing up hardcore to form the base, as swinging a sledge hammer puts such a strain on you. In addition, I didn't want to be carrying loads of lumps of concrete which I find are easy to acquire from skips etc. Most householders are only to happy to let you take hardcore, and if you search around, you can get very clean stuff, often bricks from old house extensions being knocked down. I went for a 6 inch thick base - which uses large amounts of concrete. You could get away with much thinner, but it may be better to include some metal reinforcing. I simply poured concrete into the hole. The extra cost was offset by the ease. Miximate turned up. I didn't care how much, or little I'd miss estimated by as thats their selling point. I guess what I'm trying to say is sometimes when you have family helpers, their time is valuble and extra cost which saves you time and accelerates the project along can make a real difference. I paid £20 to have the powered wheelbarrow.

£622 inc VAT for concrete.

Also some shuttering timber, + tamping timber £33

So that’s the base done. Running total £220 + £177 + £622 + £33 = £ 1052 = Base + Feed Electrics

Now, onto actual timber for making the workshop itself.

I did quite well on this, as I made an initial order of 250m of shiplap, and they delivered 320 meters by mistake!

27 Pieces @ 4.8m of 2" x 3" is £205

5 x Sheets of 12mm OSB = £46

4 x Sheets of 18mm WBP Plywood. = £92

Initial Costs to start Frame Making

£205 + £46 + £92 = £343+ VAT =£403

Running Total £403 + £1052 = £1455

General Construction.

Next up, Staples for attaching roofing felt + Tyvek Housewrap = £6

4 More sheets of 18mm WBP Plywood £92+VAT

15 Sheets of 12mm OSB £138+VAT

50 Piexes of 4.8m £204+VAT

£510 Total.

Running Total £1965

Coachbolts, tarpaulin, penny washers £35

Forgot... alarm cable was £30

Telephone + Cat5 £48

Screws 500x No6 x 100mm = £26
Screws 500 x No6 x 150mm = £42

Double Glazed Windoes £9.80 x 10 = £98

Hinges + Door Security = £55

Polystyrene Insulation for Floor £50

Tyvek Housewrap = £150

Anticipated further costs = Felt £300

Anticipated Kingspan Insulation (Seconds) £367

Total Expected Cost = £3166.

Not bad given my expectation in a post recently was that'd it'd cost £3K!

Not cheap, but as I can dismantle this workshop, it should be fairly east to remove in the future should that ever happen.

Adam, 3k seems to be about the right sort of price for this type of build and I think you have some nice extra features so I think your doing pretty well with the budget, and the fact you can take it with you increases in residual value, whereas my workshop will have to stay put if and when I move, I think if I build another, I will do it your way, definitly makes sense in the long run.

Well I've upped my buildings insurance by 10K to cover all eventualities, and have got Direct line adding a note to the schedule of my contents that their will be 10K of contents. All systems go for construction this weekend hopefully. (Depends on some mates, and a small possibility he might need to nip to India this weekend, so reschedule the trip).

Adam

I bought 60m of 6mm 3-Core Armoured cable which cost 109+VAT. Again, this could be reduced by using only 2-core and using the armour as earth, but I feel its safer to have the additional core in parallel on the earth.

Adam - you might want to check that.

As you've bought such as long length of cables, I'm assuming your run from the main consumer board is a 'reasonable' distance?

If so, then you should not earth back to the main board, but sink another earth rod in an appropriate place and leave the incoming earth feed disconnected.

Please also check this with a qualified electrician, or at least someone who knows more about electricity than me, but it is the usual practice.

Rob.

Are you sure? How do you get hold of ANY double glazing unit at £10 each - or are they for a dolls house :roll:

I reckon my build is currently at the £2.5k mark, so allowing for internal cladding, lights, some sort of lino for the floor, and a new dust extraction system, it should come to about £3.5k.

OK, probably a bit more than I could buy off the shelf, but the build quality is hopefully better, the materials are certainly better, and I've enjoyed every (almost) minute doing it.... not to mention what I've learnt.

Let's face it, if it was about the cost, we'd all just walk into MFI and buy our furniture! :)

ratkinsonuk":1v0ne72y said:

Adam - you might want to check that.

Yes, its a lot shorter, but I didn't want to end up with a shortage. The key thing is to ensure their isn't a voltage drop at the far end that violates the regs for the current you are running. I'd double check the wiring it in parallel. My cousin is a sparky that signs off installations, so he's my "design" guru!

As you've bought such as long length of cables, I'm assuming your run from the main consumer board is a 'reasonable' distance?
ratkinsonuk":1v0ne72y said:
If so, then you should not earth back to the main board, but sink another earth rod in an appropriate place and leave the incoming earth feed disconnected.

Again I'll check. Certainly I'm avoiding any extraneous conductive parts (e.g. metal water pipes) inside... this site provides some useful info, particularly regarding converting it to TT http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/Wir ... tdoors.pdf

Please also check this with a qualified electrician, or at least someone who knows more about electricity than me, but it is the usual practice.

Rob.

Will do.

Adam

ratkinsonuk":40o73vam said:

Are you sure? How do you get hold of ANY double glazing unit at £10 each - or are they for a dolls house :roll:

Ahh this is windows only. No frames. I rang round for quotes, ranged from £25 to £10. This is with a 25mm gap? Maybe 30 can't remember. Anyway, its not pilkington or anything. They've been delivered and are ready for fitting.

I reckon my build is currently at the £2.5k mark, so allowing for internal cladding, lights, some sort of lino for the floor, and a new dust extraction system, it should come to about £3.5k.

OK, probably a bit more than I could buy off the shelf, but the build quality is hopefully better, the materials are certainly better, and I've enjoyed every (almost) minute doing it.... not to mention what I've learnt.

Let's face it, if it was about the cost, we'd all just walk into MFI and buy our furniture! :)

No way, I priced up some "properly" built comparable buildings, and see here http://www.oakencloughbuildings.co.uk/p ... -072-E.pdf

Your is 20 x 12 right? £8K on there list (ok as a "garden office", but its the insulation and damp proof membrane that indicate its properly built.

This depends on your type of incoming supply, if it's sheath bonded earth at sub station then it is preferable to bring the earth from your main board although the regs do not make this clear by any means, they generally seem to point to earth spike as the only prefered solution . I put a rod in (having previously brought my earth from main board) and it tested way out of spec,doubled up on the rods halved the resistance but still out of spec. At this point my electrician and I had a considered discussion reconnected my previous board earth and it tested perfectly. He then contacted his advisary body the NIC who advised him that what we proposed and tested was fine, so that's the way it is, fully certified. my experience was for every electrician I asked I had a different answer.

Alan

Woody Alan":silw7q4h said:
my experience was for every electrician I asked I had a different answer. Alan

Given I'm doing it by the book, I've notified Building Control, and they will be sending someone out to "sign" it off. This means at this point, he'll be measuring all these aspects. If I have to sink some additional earthing rods, I'll do that, and then he has to come back and retest.

Adam

I hope you have better ground, because I was going to have to pepper the ground with stakes to get close to the requirement, in fact I was considering having to dig in some serious galvanised sheet/gauze until we settled on the other answer.

Alan

Whooooo Hooooooooo the floor is down.

Yippeeeeeeeeee \:D/ :p :D

OK I haven't screwed each panel together but that won't take a moment this evening.

And double bubble, I've been a bit ill recently and got the all clear from the consultant this morning after some eye watering [camera at both ends :-s ] kind of tests.

O:) O:) O:)

Back on the :eek:ccasion5: :: for me tonight then, given I was avoiding it as it contains gluten.

Might seem like trivial progress but its the first "assembly" rather than construction I've done.

Adam

Well Done mate, I've had those tests (all three) and they ain't nice!

So the base is down, all the panels and 'A' frames are made.

76568057.jpg

Click here to see the actual construction in all its YouTube glory!

See the action on YouTube!!!!!!

click on image for larger view

Or click the link below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8R1Kd6XGoI

All the panels are attached. It took less than 2 hours to get to this stage

76568060.jpg

We screwed a couple of vertical battons to hold the A frame at each end.

76568067.jpg

You can see them without the noggins on yet.

76568069.jpg

76568071.jpg

Most of the noggins in now. Its starting to feel quite rigid.

76568073.jpg

Made the overhang, and got some covering of OSB on.

76568083.jpg

Rain covers on, and finished for the W/E

76568085.jpg

The overhang should be about 60cm - enough to keep the rain and sun off.

76568087.jpg

Inside.

76568091.jpg

So... thats the basic construction finished. It feels huge inside (given the tiny workshop before thats not surprising!). I'm rather pleased.

Adam

Looking pukka mate! Love the vaulted ceiling, makes me wish I stuck with a roof like your instead of chickening out and going for a flat one :)

Good Job!

Well, boy, them cows sure will be warm this fall, y'all. :D Looking great - but any way to slow down the time delay footage? :shock: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":qcr5xdph said:
Looking great - but any way to slow down the time delay footage? Cheers, Alf

That was slow! Every 30 seconds to increase the number of pictures as much as possible! I could double copy each picture I guess, to increase the show time or go and play on some video editing software sometime.

Adam

Back