About time...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my case, it's a time thing. In olden times you could scan the Radio Times and the like for the available rubbish in about 2 minutes now its an effort close to reading War & Peace before you spot a program (usually a repeat) that is reasonably watchable. I must be fair to our regional (Welsh) BBC2, plenty of local interest documentaries. On the subject matter, I was horrified to learn that some of my grown up kids ( and grand kids) were watching the dreaded reality programs but at last have recognized them for the abject rubbish that they are.

Gower":3is77qv3 said:
In my case, it's a time thing. In olden times you could scan the Radio Times and the like for the available rubbish in about 2 minutes now its an effort close to reading War & Peace before you spot a program (usually a repeat) that is reasonably watchable. I must be fair to our regional (Welsh) BBC2, plenty of local interest documentaries. On the subject matter, I was horrified to learn that some of my grown up kids ( and grand kids) were watching the dreaded reality programs but at last have recognized them for the abject rubbish that they are.
Have to agree. We were scanning across the channels last night in an effort (belated as it happens) to find something half decent to watch. Bourne Supremacy??...good film but how many times do you have to see it :evil: In the end we settled for the Flight of the Phoenix (new one) Not bad, but nowhere near as good as the original (like the Italian Job I 'spose) - Rob

I`m confused.
Anyone who knows me will tell you that this statement is not news, just my version of saying things are as usual.
But my new confusion relates to the term ` Reality TV` .
Especially the `Reality` bit.
Now i don`t watch Big Brother or the like, i would rather read an out of date Belgian bus timetable or gnaw my own spleen, but as i understand it is about watching a group of dysfunctional bozo`s passing the time away in a house .(gnaw gnaw). And i`ve seen the clips of George Galloway in his leotard trying to be a cat ????
And he is an MP .!!!!!
Now the only link i can see with reality is that this is akin to the 18th century practice of watching the inmates at Bedlam lunatic asylum.

So, how far down do we need to dumb ?
It seems that with nearly everything we aim for the lowest common denominator and then start digging.

Vacuous drivel.

On a lighter note.....
More pointless tv but amusing rather than infuriating.

It`s called `Rural TV` and is on sky channel 279.
It`s so bad that it`s funny.
It describes itself as the most exciting new channel.
This is some new meaning of the word exciting that, so far, i have been unaware of.
It will puzzle you, make you think ` what the **ck ? ( that word could be heck, and not the one you`re thinking of !!), make you smile or laugh. And sometimes, amid all the rubbish, you will will find a gem. Like a run of programmes following the newsreader Bill Turnbull in his apiary.

Other programmes include such titles as :-

`Quilt in a day`.................promises to be a white knuckle ride
`Cowboy Church`............. :duno:
`The Wilburn Brothers Show`.....Rather strange, and play banjo`s.
`Classic tractor fever`........ not one of the life threatening fevers i suspect.
`Brazil Ag Report`............. The one we`ve all been waiting for.

I`m thinking of making a few programmes myself to go on this channel.

The eagerly anticipated `1001 things to do with a broken screwdriver`

The riveting `World of rivets`

The truly exciting ` Worm casts from around the world`

A documentary about ear lobes.

And `Cooking with Cornflakes` Make a delicious 3 course meal from this tasty and versatile breakfast dish.

What do you think ? :D

Piggy

All of your suggestions sound a great deal more engaging that anything currently describing itself as a "reality" programme.

More entertaining still would be a video of you gnawing your own spleen or me cutting off my ears with a blunt spoon, which would also be preferable to watching the likes of George Galloway do anything.

Walter

I still think that there are one or two good programmes on mainstream TV. We've been enjoying

Monday, Monday
Taking the Flak
New Tricks
Hotel Babylon (if we want to watch a bit of froth)

and, naturellement, Poirot as we've been delighted to discover so many we'd missed. The quality, scene setting and attention to detail coupled with the obvious loving care taken in each episode is an enjoyable watch.

Some of the progs on the history channel are very good. And I also quite liked mega machines, it was however spoilt by the american narration. SWIMBO does like "how things are made", she loves production lines. :?

Big Fat Pig":8zqxck11 said:
`Quilt in a day`.................promises to be a white knuckle ride

This is a sewing equivalent of NYW and we've not seen an equivalent program elsewhere. Like NYW it has been going for over 20 seasons. SWMBO is a keen sewist and has picked up some useful tips (as well as being bored some of the time. Most of the episodes can be streamed from the web.

Misterfish

A few years back, you couldn't unglue me from the telly (As I said "A few years back"...) These days, like tonight - a Bank Holiday Monday - when there used to be a couple of good films to choose from, I'm on the computer (obviously), and SWMBO is sewing on the machine (Women should never have been introduced to technology IMHO :oops: (Sorry ladies)), we have c.d.'s playing, and everyone is happy...

I do admit to seeing the first BB, but none since. Although, I occasionally catch it when I'm up late / early, trying to scan channels for anything interesting - insomnia's a pipper I tell you! The LAST thing I think any right minded, sensible person wants to see is half a dozen, or more, sleeping bodies filmed in infrared (or whatever it is to catch bodies in the dark). If I do catch that on the telly, I know I need to go back to bed - that must be THE ONLY good example BB has given me over the last 10 years!

I agree:- New Tricks; Hotel Babylon - worth coming in out of the cold for.
Also enjoy - CHUCK - for a laugh, not much else springs to mind, except the 'cops chasing crooks' programmes, and "Crash", just to see what happens on race tracks...Not even seen Deal or No Deal for weeks.. :oops:

Latest posts

Back