A small request..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ste_5150

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As a few of you may know I'm a newbie and just building up a collection of the basic tools I'll need. I've just acquired a few new toys and I'd really like to get using them, so I wondered if anyone in the North West had any hardwood offcuts they need to get rid of? Being a newbie I'm running out of what little I did have and don't want to start a big project with tools I've not used before... :?

I'm not after particular species' or size or anything, but I'm looking for offcuts basically because I don't want to use decent wood while I'm getting to grips with the new stuff and I get the impression disposing of offcuts can be something of a pain for some of the pros out there!

I'm based in the Wrexham/Chester area and would obviously pick up anything people would like to get rid of.

Hope no-one thinks I'm being cheeky, but if you don't ask.....

:D

What sort of 'bits' would you like? I have a workshop full of bits and pieces that you can have a pick at if you want to get a feel for what the different types of wood feel like to work.

:lol:

Thanks GO, but I think it may work out more economical to buy a small forest over here than go down that route!! :wink:

Night Train, thank you very much. I'll drop you a PM when I get home later and we'll work something out - suffice it to say, I'd only take what you absolutely don't want, and only a small amount at that, but I really appreciate it.

Another example of how supportive this forum is! :D

I have shipped a few bits of wood over there,a little pricey but hey it was good stuff.... :arrow: do not know what size you wanted but I am always making boards shorter :lol:

I have a load of stuff you can have but i'm a fair distance away, If you ever have to venture out my way give me a shout, I can fill your car :wink:

Thanks again for the replies folks. I took a trip over towards Machester on Saturday and saw Night Train and Moz. Both were generous enough to 'donate' a selection of offcuts (and some that I wouldn't have called offcuts!) for me to experiment with.

More importantly to me, they were also very kind in spending some time showing me their workshops, tools and past work. I picked up some valuable knowledge and tips from both, and really appreciate their time.

Just wanted to point out how supportive and generous the folks that frequent this forum really are!

I'll post something in the projects section once I make something worth showing!! Thanks again guys,

That's what I really like about this site.

People are so helpful and friendly.

My Rugby club site is full of people arguing and being really bitchy and I hate it. But I suppose when that first whistle blows we'll all love each other again! :D :D

I purchased some hardwood from a local builders merchant some years ago and I casually said have you got any waste timber I can stack it with, he led me to a corner and the yardman said "help yourself" The waste were the odd lengths of boards that previous customers whern't paying for and the yard didn't want cluttering up the place.

So anyone out there wants a bit extra when purchasing, try it.

You're welcome, Ste.

It was good to meet you. Shows there are real people out there and forums are not just an experiment in AI. :wink:

What did you think of the CD?

Night Train":1vvp3t9e said:
You're welcome, Ste.

It was good to meet you. Shows there are real people out there and forums are not just an experiment in AI. :wink:

What did you think of the CD?

Always assuming I am in fact not a further experiment in AI myself! I think I'm me, though. Maybe speculation on that is for the 'Off-Topic' bit though.

Anyway....

I think the CD is brilliant! I'm really bored with music at the moment (not a good thing for a musician!) and I've been on the lookout for something refreshing and different. He's got a really light-hearted sort of sound - it's been on in the car since the weekend! For those interested, look for Maxwell Watts on myspace - well worth a listen.

Thanks again for your generosity (of time and wood!). I've started working on a little project (a box with inlays) with it so I'll post a WIP when I can get enough time to make decent headway. Should hopefully show it was put to good use, but we'll see!!

ste_5150":1jkwwm8j said:
I think the CD is brilliant! I'm really bored with music at the moment (not a good thing for a musician!) and I've been on the lookout for something refreshing and different. He's got a really light-hearted sort of sound - it's been on in the car since the weekend! For those interested, look for Maxwell Watts on myspace - well worth a listen.
Thanks for the feedback on that, I will let Maxwell know.
Here's the link to Maxwell Watts Music. Its not really too far off topic as it is his recording studio I have been building recently. :D

Any chance of a WIP thread with pics of the studio build on it? I'm a bit of an audio geek so crossing woodworking with studio gear may prove to be too much excitement for me, but I'll risk it!! I may need the studio building tips in the future...

Apologies if it's already been posted - couldn't fid it!

:D

No pics posted I'm afraid. I tend not to post WIP and rarely finished work unless a client approves it first.

The work was essentially converting half a very large room into a sound proof box.

First job was to put in a sound proof floor across the studio half of the room. This involved resetting all the floor boards as tight as possible and then taping all the gaps. On top went a building fabic, two layers of sound deading rubber all sealed and taped and folded up the walls, then a cement bonded chipboard floor. The floor layer was a real PITA to work, very heavy, lots of cement dust and I got through a tungsten tip circular saw blade cutting it all, there were even sparks sometimes!
The gaps to the walls were sealed with a flexible sealent all round

I then put in a double partition wall to divide the room. That consisted of two 100x50mm stud partitions set 10mm apart. One was on the original floor and fixed to the structure the other was on the floating floor and fixed to the first wall with rubber tabs. Both sides were boarded with two layers of 13mm (or was it 15mm) acousitc board and filled with sound deadening rockwool batts.
All edges and gaps were filled and sealed with flexible sealent.

The wall had to have double doors in the middle so that when opened it would form an aperture for filming videos across the width of the two rooms onto a blue screen on the back of the studio.
The double doors are double-double doors like an airlock. Each door is a heavy fire door with a rebated closing edge and hung on Parliment hinges so they can be opened flat. All the door stops and edges are sealed with foam draught proofing strip. Even the threshold (to be made) will have a sealed doorstop edge on.

The bay window has double glazing with black limo film on and is hung with heavy lined decorative curtains that will be backed with several layers of heavy blankets to deaden the window area.

the drum kit will sit in the bay and is on a ply and foam sandwich board carpeted and underlaid on both faces. The whole floor is also carpeted and underlaid.

The next stage is to run an acoustic test on the room and work out what sort of sound baffles will be needed and where they will go.

I'm doing the whole job on a labour swap so there is no money involved on either side. It means that we can both get work done by working for each other without having to worry about the state of the economy.

Now that sounds like it's going to be a nice space! Wish I could do something similar but we won't have the room for a few years yet. :D

It's quite a big space as well. He and I should have swapped houses to do this. The original room was about 30'x17' plus bay windows. That would have made a nice workshop. :)

Back