UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I had my old scrollsaw bolted to the workbench, I used it standing and suffered with 'Scroller's Neckache' a lot.

Since I made a stand for my saw and use it sitting, no more aches & pains (just the usual age-related ones now).

I love your sense of humour Brian with the white stick. As you know I am disabled and I had a similar problem to your neck pain. I had a lady call from social services and she gave me a stool, it was no ordinary stool, this one tilted so the seat had a forward slope to it. At first I was a bit wary as I failed to see how this would help but afer using it for a while I noticed a marked difference and the neck pain went, it's all very scientific when you look into it and beyond me but it works and I am sure if you ask they will give you one. I would avoid the armchair idea. I think this would make your situation worse. I feel the idea height of the saw table will be when you are sitting at the saw and with your arms by your side the table will be level with your elbows. I hope this helps.

Hi Brian I make A frame stands for most of my workshop tools (planer thicknesser sanders etc) just need a chop saw set at 10 degrees and some 4x2 you can make the legs to suit the height you want I got the idea from the below video and set it up for my own needs I did not cut the wood to rough lengths like he did but set the saw to 10 deg put a stop on depending which bits I was cutting they are quite sturdy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLszJTtFp7E

See a physio for some exercises. My SIL has the same problem due to sitting at a desk/PC - exercises work for her.

Brian

I cant help with scrollers neck but have noticed the level of concentration in doing this type of work is intense but when I scroll I am tending to do very fine patterns which is right on the limit of my concentration . The last job I did I had to almost go and lie down after 2 hrs, I felt physically ill :x

Going back to the neck issue - I am guessing the muscles are tightening up with the concentration reqd so maybe its partly that?

Matt@":3cbrr1qg said:
I cant help with scrollers neck but have noticed the level of concentration in doing this type of work is intense but when I scroll I am tending to do very fine patterns which is right on the limit of my concentration . The last job I did I had to almost go and lie down after 2 hrs, I felt physically ill :x

Going back to the neck issue - I am guessing the muscles are tightening up with the concentration reqd so maybe its partly that?

Well it just shows how different we all are... I find using my scroll saw relaxing, indeed my mind wanders all over the place :roll: .

I find it a great break from my normal computer work and think that that benefits from my time in the workshop (other than not wanting to leave my workshop to do it - work that is).

Regards

Phill

I think its definitely a concentration thing. When I'm cutting tiny precise stuff I sometimes feel a tension/tightness in my neck and shoulders so, when I am aware of it, I try to relax the muscles and not hold on so tightly.

Hey Phill, I found when my mind started to wander - so did the blade :shock: although, I have to say that when I'm cutting a gift, I DO think about the person I'm making the gift for which is kinda nice.

Barry

Back