UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or traditional fingerless gloves, as used by poor market traders and rich pheasant shooters alike.

BugBear

Brian.

My feet freeze when I am sitting at the scroll saw, but an advantage of having very little sensation in them, I don’t know they are cold until I feel them with my hand. Then when I know they are cold they feel cold. :shock:

Don’t suffer with cold hands though.

Take care.

Chris R.

ChrisR":3ntb39mb said:
Brian.

My feet freeze when I am sitting at the scroll saw, but an advantage of having very little sensation in them, I don’t know they are cold until I feel them with my hand.

These (or similar) have made my workshop far more pleasant.

(more)Comfortable and (more)warm on your feet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interlocking-An ... B002CQ7Z6W

BugBear

I've got Raynaud's so my fingers go white and then completely numb so I can't feel anything at all. I used to wear thin cotton gloves when I was working - they were left overs from when the wife had eczema and had to keep her hands covered - and that little bit of protection made all the difference. Fingerless gloves are no good as it just means only my finger ends will go numb. I need to get some more of the cotton ones but, having small hands, the fingers in most gloves are generally too long. I can find plenty of the one-size-fits-all but they are always too big.

Coldest day yet in The Beast, my butchered ex summer house. I've got by with some woollen fingerless gloves and a hot water bottle in a cover and carrier bag, fingers warming for the use of. I've been toying with the idea of making a small rocket stove, sitting it on a piece of paving slab, and finding a thick piece of steel to sit an inch above it to restrict the flame and radiate the warmth. My shed, I mean my beautiful workshop, is extremely well ventilated so I'm fairly confident I wouldn't pass out due to CO poisoning. I'd get an extinguisher, so aside from that can anyone think of any downsides?

Claymore":2kptbtei said:
--the scroll saw table being metal is sodding freezing!

Would a layer of 3-4 mm ply (sanded and waxed for low friction) added to the table help?

BugBear

finneyb":1lp4pwzj said:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/800-w-quartz-heater-a92jr

Quartz radiant heater £5 last few only Maplins
Got similar last year they are good, they heat you not the shop

Brian

Cheers for that, Brian, I bought the last one in our local shop, so won't be burning the shed down anytime soon :eek:

bugbear":18phmeml said:
Claymore":18phmeml said:
--the scroll saw table being metal is sodding freezing!

Would a layer of 3-4 mm ply (sanded and waxed for low friction) added to the table help?

BugBear

I use one of those A3 cutting mats that has the 1cm lines on, stuck down to the table with double sided tape keeps smooth and clean also deadens the noise a little.

Phill

Well ,what a turn up , here am I feeling all sorry for myself and then you lot let loose with your problems .
It makes me wonder did I give in too easily , and then I realize that it has taken me a long time to type this .
Also I am so busy visiting Docs. and hospitals that I would not have the time anyway . But if you folk keep showing your art on here ,I can get almost as much pleasure as if I had made it myself .Thank you lot for a kick up the you know what ,
Oh what a decrepit lot we are ,to think "THATS IT " I have got this far, When all you need is a gentle push ,and a reminder that theres no need to rush !! :lol: :lol: :ho2 :ho2

God Bless to you all .

Nice to hear from you again Eugene, I hope the medical profession are keeping you in tip top condition. I feel sorry for all the guys working away in their cold sheds and summerhouses and then there are one or two working in their garages. It must be awful now we are in the group of winter and finding ways to keep warm, nothing worse than having cold feet and fingers when you are trying to create another master piece.

I think what you all need is a workshop like mine. It's indoors, has central heating, double glazing, to the right of the main scroll saw is a small platform for the coffee cup, which is refreshed every hour. I can work in jeans and T shirt and work for hours at a time without any discomfort, music playing in the background, what more could you ask for. There is one thing, because I am so busy I feel I need an assistant, ideally blonde.

Chippygeoff":1a4yn3zv said:
There is one thing, because I am so busy I feel I need an assistant, ideally blonde.

Judging by some of your work, you are a bit of a magician, so that figures!

magician_s_assistant.jpg

BugBear

She would be perfect, hopefully she would be prepared to live in, be keen on scroll saw work, attend craft fairs and no doubt a few other things I could think of.

Geoff.

If you find a blonde assistant and she has a sister (PM) me with full specification, if suitable, I will collect.
Who am I kidding, I would never survive the journey home, but I would go with a hell of a grin on my silly face. :D

I do envy your working conditions though, but I don’t think my long haired boss would allow the saw indoors, in fact if she reads this post, requesting a blonde, I will be out on the street, with the saw around my neck. :shock:

Take care.

Chris R.

Actually, this whole thread is slightly ironic. If you look at the heyday of 1930's fretwork, it was mainly done on the kitchen table - thus, in the kitchen, probably the warmest room in the house!

BugBear

Back