6x4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongbow57

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,can anyone give us any ideas on how i can makes curves in 6x4 timber to shape a cabriole leg i have no bandsaw
Any other ways i can do it,my jigsaw only cuts 30mm,
Cheers Ed :?

find somebody with a bandsaw. or buy a used bandsaw on ebay, buy a tuffsaws blade, use it and sell it on. You shouldnt loose any money on it.

strongbow57":31a82j7n said:
Hi,can anyone give us any ideas on how i can makes curves in 6x4 timber to shape a cabriole leg i have no bandsaw
Any other ways i can do it,my jigsaw only cuts 30mm,
Cheers Ed :?

Either a bowsaw, or make relief cuts (to depth stations) and then use chisels.

Both are more laborious than a bandsaw.

BugBear

Got a router or router table?

Rough cut close with the jigsaw then using a template jig, support the work piece and clean up with a flush trimming bit.

Finish with a draw knife / spoke shave

You could get to the rough shape by drawing it on, making a series of cuts a few cm apart down to say half a cm of the line with a handsaw, then chopping the waste away (a hatchet might actually be the best tool for this if there's a lot to come off)...

Alternatively, you could use a chainsaw, it wouldn't be the most graceful way of doing it, but if you have access to a small one, it wouldn't too hard so long as you were conservative.

Jelly":31cw3z37 said:
You could get to the rough shape by drawing it on, making a series of cuts a few cm apart down to say half a cm of the line with a handsaw, then chopping the waste away (a hatchet might actually be the best tool for this if there's a lot to come off)...

Alternatively, you could use a chainsaw, it wouldn't be the most graceful way of doing it, but if you have access to a small one, it wouldn't too hard so long as you were conservative.

But, one supposes it would be difficult if one were liberal and impossible if you were labour??????..

ok ok I know....hat coat >>>>>>>>door

ankledeep":ravwauql said:
Jelly":ravwauql said:

But, one supposes it would be difficult if one were liberal and impossible if you were labour??????..

The liberal application of chainsaw to anything tends to have a deleterious effect...

Back