How to get curved walls of small irregular dish.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supertom44

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I want to make the below, it's a dosing tray to weigh and transfer coffee beans.

The bowl bit I'm fine with I can make a template and route out the inside.

The bit I can't figure out is how to make the sides curve down to the base.

Only way I can think is to use a bandsaw and make a serious of angled cuts then sand smooth, or use a hand plane and plane the corners down.

Is there an easier way?

1701888402809.png

1701888414262.png

If you have a lathe you could do the 3 corners first then route the inside and finally plane the outside to match the corners

If you have a lathe you could do the 3 corners first then route the inside and finally plane the outside to match the corners

There's many ways, but a flap wheel in an angle grinder will soon get that to shape. Even quicker if you can get the basic shape in flat surfaces with a bandsaw first.

Saw close to shape, then a coarse rasp, then a finer rasp or file and finally sand smooth.
The Shinto rasps work well and are reasonable.

Assume you are starting with a rectangular pieces, work it out and cut the spout-like curve at the front on the Bandsaw while it's still rectangular so easy to control. Then cut the rest. ( I've been making coffee and grinding beans for 15 years and never found a need for a dosing tray)

Assume you are starting with a rectangular pieces, work it out and cut the spout-like curve at the front on the Bandsaw while it's still rectangular so easy to control. Then cut the rest. ( I've been making coffee and grinding beans for 15 years and never found a need for a dosing tray)
Need a dosing tray, absolutely not my grinder has a dosing cup that works perfectly fine, however I thought these looked nice and wanted to have a go at making one.

Outside:
Shape the outline precisely.
Then gauge mark faces and sides all round for two 45º bevels (with 3rd bevel left between them).
Then take off the 2 bevels with plane, spokeshave, bandsaw, whatever, precisely, so that you are in control.
Then freehand shape/sand what's left, starting by spokeshaving along the gauge lines, or arrisses.
Similar process for rounding off and shaping odd curved shapes like windsor chair arms. Getting the flat bevels spot on keeps it under control, before you start rounding off freehand.

Back