63mm tubing for "occasional" planing/thicknessing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will this work?

• This will work fine for you

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • This isn't going to work

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

Copes

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've recently bought a 6" surface planer and a triton TPT125 thicknesser, i just need to get some extraction sorted for them.

I have a axi CT-50RCK extractor which works fine for my tablesaw with 100mm hose, the question is, can i get away with 63mm hose for the above machines, i'm only a hobbyist so it's only for occasional use here and there so the odd blockage isn't a problem. The thicknesser actually seems to ahve a 63mm~ port anyway, just trying to save a few quid.

Anyone tried/using this?

Thanks

any extraction is better than no extraction.
But the right sized extraction gives you the recommended clearance rate.

sunnybob":3r8me26r said:
any extraction is better than no extraction.
But the right sized extraction gives you the recommended clearance rate.
Sorry Bob but in this case I think it would make things worse, the first shavings to hit it will block it up then back up into the machine and snarl that up, you then spend 20 minutes clearing it all up, may as well just sweep the floor in TV the first place.

I have 63 mm rigid extraction system, through a home made cyclone and into a sip 50 litre collector, connected via blast gates to each of the following;
makita 1801 powered router table
axminster 350N bandsaw
ryobi combi mitre saw/table saw
charnwood 4" belt / 6" disc sander.
And then a jet 12" thicknesser on the other side of the workshop via 6 metres of 63 mm flexible hose.

I had to modify the bandsaw as it came with 2 x 100 mm ports. I blocked the lower completely and reduced the upper to 63 mm, put a shield around the lower bearing block and it works fine.
I also modified the outlet on the thicknesser, taking it from a stupid 50 mm to 63 mm.
I always run the extraction when any of these are working.
I have never had a blockage that required removing and unblocking pipes.

I Know I bang on quite a bit about extraction, but the alternative to no extraction is vicious lung diseases, and I have experience of that that I would not wish on anybody else.

I use a dw1150 planer thicknesser 10" with a standard shop vac, likely <63mm hose. The wider the boards the shallower each pass I can take without blocking the vac hose, but it works ok and on 150mm boards I can take a 2mm cut and it's fine.

Fitz.

Stick with 100mm. Even if it's oversized in terms of the machine outlet, the additional airflow will minimise the tube blocking. It's what I do with my thicknesser, same model as yours.

Give it a go Copes and let us know how you get on! I take it these recent additions will help with your bench build?

I have used the 63mm ducting from rutland for years and only ever had a couple of blocks in an ideal world I would have used the 100mm but could not afford it at the time .Having said that the blockages only ever happened with pine hardwoods go through just fine ,Don't know whether because it is just pine I maybe try to take more off in one go I am hooked up to a 3hp extractor though.

Jim

Thanks for the advice guys.

It sounds like 63mm will "probably..." be okay, just trying to work out what will be best. My poky workshop doesn't exactly have that much room for massive piping everywhere.

Yes memzey, back on the workbench... it had sat in the corner like a spurned child for long enough, flattened the whole thing last weekend with my makita palm router... #mission but after several hours of back and forth its beautifully flat, then a VERY sketchy couple of passes on the new planer for the front edge to square that up to the top and it's starting to take shape. Just need to square and mill the legs to all the same dimensions and i can start the joinery.

I'll post a few pics this weekend if i get time in the shop.

=D> Please do post the pics Copes. Would love to see it come together. Are we planning for another get together before the summer holidays? I bumped into Stefan at Richard Arnold's do the other week and it reminded me!

So after a lot of indecision I opted for the 100mm route which seems to provide enough suction with the blast gates in place which is good...

However, I'm having clogging problems with the planer, the long chips seem to be catching on the extractor fan intake "grill?" A couple collect then a few more, then it's entirely blocked.

Can I just remove the grill..? Well cut it out.

I did wonder if this would be the prompt to add a cyclone? But having a quick look at 100mm cyclones they're sensationally expensive for what they are. Has anyone had much look making one?

Thanks

I think just about every one has cut out the cross guard off the extractor inlet, its there to stop you putting your hand into the blade whilst its running, are we really that stupid? Obviously someone thinks so. :roll:

Mike

I have a Jet extractor connected up to my 300mm Hammer P/T and when I first tried it with a section of 250mm soft wood, it was constantly getting blocked up at the metal cross grill on top of the extractor motor. I just cut it out with a junior hacksaw and its worked fine ever since.

A full sized motorway traffic cone is the size youre after, just saying, like.

Back