60 400 grit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonzjob":31u3pxtk said:
I'll second the first choice (??) their Rhyno-Grip abrasives are first class and last a good while!

Forum member too :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

indeed - I should have mentioned 'quality' a little more specifically in my post. I always used to think that one sheet of 120 grade was the same as any other #-o

whilst I am not big into 're-use' (blame Blister) there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this stuff 'cuts' better - just like a freshly ground gouge/scraper.

I bought a pack of sandpaper rolls from Simon Hope - hopewoodturning.co.uk - at a show recently, i think that it was also rhino something but c an't be sure without going to the workshop, but a deep red colour as opposed to the lighter colour sandpaper sold by Richard.

One big bonus with the stuff I've got is that it's 6" wide which makes punching out 3" disks very economical indeed. I just use a modified holesaw with the teeth ground off and a continuous cutting edge ground instead. My disks now work out at about 10p each as opposed to buying them in at 35-50p each. It's really good abrasive to boot, probably the best I've used in fact!

Cheers
Aled

Sorry, forgot to mention that the papers I have only start at 120grit which I thought may be an issue, but that was before I tried out a negative rake scraper, I can now comfortably start sanding at 120, 180 wouldn't be an issue. Honestly, negative rake scrapers have transformed my finishing routine, I now clean up any lumps/bumps/torn grain with a scraper and then lightly sand through the grits usually starting at 180grit.

jumps":1qnt46yf said:
Jonzjob":1qnt46yf said:
I'll second the first choice (??) their Rhyno-Grip abrasives are first class and last a good while!

Forum member too :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

indeed - I should have mentioned 'quality' a little more specifically in my post. I always used to think that one sheet of 120 grade was the same as any other #-o

whilst I am not big into 're-use' (blame Blister) there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this stuff 'cuts' better - just like a freshly ground gouge/scraper.

+1. far superior to anything from the local diy store. may seem more expensive at first glance but there really is no comparison, better finish and longer lasting.

+1. far superior to anything from the local diy store. may seem more expensive at first glance but there really is no comparison, better finish and longer lasting.[/quote]

Thats what im after a better finish and longer lasting grit

Thanks Dave

+1 for Richard's paper from me too.

I did try using some abrasive from Axminster. the stuff on a roll in a box you tear off. But oh dear. You just touch it to spinning wood and its totally clogged. Waste of money.

drillbit":1coi5p7k said:
+1 for Richard's paper from me too.

I did try using some abrasive from Axminster. the stuff on a roll in a box you tear off. But oh dear. You just touch it to spinning wood and its totally clogged. Waste of money.

I have one of those boxes too and I was so disapointed that I phoned Axy and told them about it. It may be worth you letting them know too?

Rhyno for me and I will be ordering some more soon me-thinks.. :mrgreen:

That explains what I bought from Simon Hope, his is the Rhynogrip Redline, it's excellent, and the 6" width makes it exceptionally economical to punch out 3" disks. Looks like I got a bargain too :lol:

Cheers
Aled

Latest posts

Back