4" Ducting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lonsdale73":6zfv7trc said:
Any recommendations as to which and where to buy?
Assuming you mean flexible, I got mine here
For rigid I use white soil pipe from Wickes

Lonsdale73":2w8073zh said:
pcb1962":2w8073zh said:
Lonsdale73":2w8073zh said:

Have you been able to connect the rigid to the flexible? If so, how?

Best way to connect is with blast gates, I bought the metal ones from Axminster, they fit just inside the 4" soil pipe, then the flexible will also fit over them with a jubilee clip.

Lonsdale73":2tj7kbe6 said:
pcb1962":2tj7kbe6 said:
Lonsdale73":2tj7kbe6 said:

Have you been able to connect the rigid to the flexible? If so, how?
No, you can't stretch the flexi over the soil pipe, I use something like this, not this exact one, probably got mine from Rutlands.

pcb1962":5w9zjki9 said:
Lonsdale73":5w9zjki9 said:

The only 110mm white soil pipe I can find at Wickes is just 850mm long. Is this what you use, or are there longer lengths I've missed?

Superstrat":3khe4eqw said:
pcb1962":3khe4eqw said:
Lonsdale73":3khe4eqw said:

The only 110mm white soil pipe I can find at Wickes is just 850mm long. Is this what you use, or are there longer lengths I've missed?

That was the only one I saw too. Screwfix are offering two 3m lengths of Floplast brown pipe for around £16 which sounds like good value. Axminster are out of stock of aluminium blast gates.

Find your local ducting supplier? galvanised spiral duct is literally pennies. It's all designed to fit together too. Try lindab - I've googled it, theres one in lincoln. They have blast gates and everything.

TFrench":51t6yxre said:
Find your local ducting supplier? galvanised spiral duct is literally pennies. It's all designed to fit together too. Try lindab - I've googled it, theres one in lincoln. They have blast gates and everything.

Where are you seeing prices?

Lonsdale73":2fpg07ut said:
TFrench":2fpg07ut said:

I'm not, but we occasionally fit ducting at work so I know how much it costs. The prices on the site distinterior posted look on the expensive side to me. Try going to your local lindab and talking to them. Explain what you're up to and try and wangle as good a deal as possible! Works for me when I buy DIY stuff from trade counters.

TFrench":13z65cls said:
Lonsdale73":13z65cls said:
TFrench":13z65cls said:

I'm not, but we occasionally fit ducting at work so I know how much it costs. The prices on the site distinterior posted look on the expensive side to me. Try going to your local lindab and talking to them. Explain what you're up to and try and wangle as good a deal as possible! Works for me when I buy DIY stuff from trade counters.

I couldn't even get a pound off on a 'or best offer' listing on ebay!

It would be good to see some photos of what others have done. I'm about to re-jig my garage workshop and want to fit a permanent dust system. It looks as though the brown, underground drainage pipe and fittings may be the most cost effective solution overall, along with home-made plywood blast gates and suitable adaptors for flexible connections to the machines. The grey or black above-ground fittings are also an option but tend to be a little more pricey.

Take your wife for a romantic meal in France, and whilst there go into a Brico Depot and pick up a load of standard 100mm dia soil pipe, very much cheaper than UK 110mm and adaptors, but just for information the female swaged end of a 100mm dia French pipe fits inside a rubber seal 110mm UK pipe exactly.

Mike

Toolstation soil pipe is cheap and delivery free over £10

I dont know the risks of electrostatic charge on plastic or explosion risk. If thats not an issue then its a great diy dxtraction ducting option.

If you want metal spiral duct have a look at this site

http://www.ducting-online.co.uk/spiral- ... 2x14101665

Note that spiral wound is generally made for HVAC and tends to do 90 or 45 degree bends but chip extraction needs 30 degrees.

Great company to deal with.

Back